XS, XSI, T1, T2i, T3i...this may be a dumb question

Drumbum27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm sure this is a dumb question but other then megapixels what seperates these. I know I can get an XS lets say with 4 lenses for the price of a T3i. So other then megapixel count what makes the T3i the better buy? I'm sory if this is a dumb question, but I am new to DSLR cameras and want more then one lens. Will be shooting a lot of my family and some nature mostly. I want something i can grow with but dont need the best. I would appreciate any thoughts as I admit I am nothing more then a point and shoot guy tryin to get out of newb status and learn how to really use a camera. Thanks ahead of time for any input.

There will be a bunch of different features on the cameras as they go up in price. For example, neither the XS or XSi have video (however, they do have live view I believe). The XS doesn't have spot metering, which is a big downer but not a game changer.

The megapixels really don't matter all that much. If you get a camera with more than 10mp, you should be fine. I make huge prints with my 12mp camera.

You say that you can get an XS and 4 lenses for the price of a T3i... But the lenses that you would get would not be very high quality for the amount of money invested. You also wouldn't have the wireless flash support that the T3i has.

What I would suggest you do, rather than me spell out all the differences for you, is go to Compare digital cameras - Snapsort In the upper left hand corner click "compare" and then type in the cameras that you want to compare. This will give you a very basic idea of the differences in the bodies and features they provide.

If you have more specific questions after you've done that, feel free to post them here.

I do have two questions actually it seems Nikon and Pentax have more
cross-type-focus-points.gif
Many more cross-type focus points9vs1
I dont know how important cross type focus points are or what they do?
Also, it seems canon has built in focus motor where nikon has to have it in their lenses?

I do have two questions actually it seems Nikon and Pentax have more
cross-type-focus-points.gif
Many more cross-type focus points9vs1

I dont know how important cross type focus points are or what they do?
Also, it seems canon has built in focus motor where nikon has to have it in their lenses?

What two cameras are you comparing that are 9 vs 1? Cross type points allow the camera to focus quickly in low light, better than contrast detect AF points.

I only use the center focus point on any of my cameras. I focus, and then recompose with back button focus. So basically, additional focus points are useless for me.

The one thing about the Canon line is that every lens you purchase whether it be Canon, Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina will autofocus. Not true of the entry level Nikon bodies, which do not contain focus motors in the body, and rely on focus motors in the lens. In the current lineup of Nikon bodies, the D7000 is the least expensive body with a Focus Motor in it.

Pentax K-r Vs T2i These seem to be the two in my range that have good features but hard to know which is better for family and nature since i dont understand what each difference means in the two

Pentax K-r Vs T2i These seem to be the two in my range that have good features but hard to know which is better for family and nature since i dont understand what each difference means in the two

You can't really go wrong with either. Pentax makes good cameras as well, but their used lens market is smaller, and their focal lengths and max apertures are kind of wonky... That may not matter to you though.

The T2i is over $100 cheaper than the Pentax too.

yes but that snapsport site you gave me rated the pentax a fairly decent winner any idea why?

yes but that snapsport site you gave me rated the pentax a fairly decent winner any idea why?

Because Pentax offer amazing value for money, weather sealed build quality to start you off at a low price. The IQ performance is up there with the best aswell for crop sensor cameras.

I myself would not touch anything from the rebel line, not because I am anti Canon but because the build quality and feel of those lower end cameras is just completely TOY like and Cheap feeling. Canon do this for a reason, they want people to feel the need to upgrade. I was originally going to choose Canon but was put off by the lackluster feel of the lower end cameras.

If you are going Canon, you want to look at the 60D as a minimum in my opinion. You are likely to prefer the feel of the Pentax if you pick it up in the shop!

If you really want one of Canon's finest though, you are looking at taking out a potential mortgage, the 7D is a beautiful camera and if I was going Canon. The 7D would be on my shopping list.

Because it's more capable than the T2i as an entry level camera. Snapsort isn't the end-all to camera comparisons. It doesn't weigh out cost of lenses, availability of products, practical features, etc. It basically takes an aggregate of everything each camera can do. Some features are more important to some people.

For example, I have no need for in camera HDR (because it's not a real HDR image), Sensor shift image stabilization, etc. Some people do, and that's why they'd opt for the Pentax. I prefer Canons lineup of lenses, and the availability of products, along with their customer service.

With that being said, both are great cameras.

Winner [h=2]Pentax K-r[/h]

"The K-r is in many ways a very competent upper entry-level camera."​
| talking about the K-r's overall-performance
"The K-r produces, in almost any shooting situation, output that is virtually identical to the K-x's."​
dpreview.com | talking about the K-r's image-quality
[h=3]Reasons to buy the Pentax K-r[/h]
colour_depth.gif
Great color depth
22.9 bits
dynamic_range.gif
Wide dynamic range
12.4 EV
lcd_size.gif
Large screen
3.0"
lcd_resolution.gif
High resolution screen
920k dots
is.gif
Image stabilization
Sensor shift
iso.gif
High ISO
12,800 ISO

Runner-up [h=2]Canon Rebel T2i[/h]

"Excellent detail and resolution"​
| talking about the T2i's image-quality
"Since the body shell is virtually identical to the EOS 500D that it replaces, the handling is also virtually identical, meaning the grip still feels a bit fiddly unless you're got very delicate hands."​
| talking about the T2i's feel
[h=3]Reasons to buy the Canon Rebel T2i[/h]
movie_mode.gif
Full HD
1080p @ 30fps
lcd_size.gif
Large screen
3.0"
lcd_resolution.gif
High resolution screen
1,040k dots
true_resolution.gif
High true resolution
17.9 MP
external-microphone.gif
External mic jack
Record higher quality audio with a microphone
size.gif
Really small
Prosumer size 129x98x62 mm

imp

[h=2]differences[/h]

When buying a camera, go to a camera store and pick the brains of the staff. That's what they're there for.

It isn't about the camera. It is about the system. Yes the Pentax is a great camera but the problem is that you're stuck with a system that hardly anyone uses. And when you find out how hard it is to find accessories and lenses for your camera, you'd be quite unhappy.

It isn't about the camera. It is about the system. Yes the Pentax is a great camera but the problem is that you're stuck with a system that hardly anyone uses. And when you find out how hard it is to find accessories and lenses for your camera, you'd be quite unhappy.

No this is a valid point made by yourself and Tyler, this is where Canon smashes Pentax out of the ball park.

At the same time, it depends what the OP is looking for. Is he hoping to become a mad and hungry photographer or is he looking for a camera to use on holiday to take some great snaps with? If it's the later, I would recommend the Pentax first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back