XSi vs 40D Image Quality Comparison

BTilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This isn't the typical "Camera A vs Camera B" thread. I have done a ton of research on both cameras, read all sorts of reviews and practically have the specs of each one memorized. I've been to the camera store and handled both. Basically, I've done my homework, and I'm not looking for advice on which camera I should get, especially since there are already several threads comparing these two specific cameras on this forum. (Which were also very helpful, I might add!)

I have read in a lot of places that the image quality of the two cameras is virtually identical, since they both use the Digic III processor with 14 bit conversion. What I am looking for is a side by side direct shot comparison from each camera. The exact same picture under the same conditions (as much as possible) shot through the same lens from each camera. Has anyone found anything like this? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks very much in advance! :thumbup:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...e&cameras=canon_eos40d,canon_eos450d&show=all

You'll have to download the sample images and compare them side by side yourself. If you look in the full review section for each camera the test shots are always the same set-up. They'll tell you which lens was used. I don't know if you can pull up a side by side on their website, but you should be able to save the images and do it yourself on your computer.

What are you shooting? Usually, the decision between 40D and XSi boils down to how the camera feels in your hand.

If they use the same sensor and the same processor, a shot of the same subject at the same time with the same lens ought to be identical - at least when shooting RAW. The camera may have different JPG presets, but those can be tweaked in the Picture menu.

This is not a new issue. The Rebel (X) series have been very close to the XXD level cameras in terms of image quality....for several years, going back a few models. As mentioned, given the same variables, the images should be identical or nearly so.

There are many differences between the cameras though. Size and build quality, the more expensive 40D has more metal and less plastic. It's bigger and heavier and some of it's access points are weather sealed. The layout of the screens, buttons & controls are different. The 40D will have more direct access to commonly used setting while the XSi will probably require you to go into the menu for some of those things.
A big difference will be the AF system. The 40D has a very good AF system, the XSi is probably adaquate but not outstanding. The frame rate is also very good on the 40D, great for sports & action shots.

You probably knew all those differences already...but that's what it comes down to (well that and the price difference)...image quality is moot.

Well, I did as suggested and downloaded and compared all the sample images from both of those reviews. Maybe it's just my slightly degraded vision, but to me, all of the 40D pictures looked clearer and sharper at full resolution than the XSi pictures. The XSi still took excellent pictures, but the 40D just seemed to be even better.

Then I came across the .mp3 of the two cameras and the speed of their burst modes. Wow, the 40D sounds like a machine gun.

So I guess I'm just going to bite the bullet, save up the extra cash and buy the 40D. It's definitely the better camera, and I think I will be happy with it for a long long time.

To answer the question about what I shoot, I don't particularly have any one set style. Basically, if it looks interesting, I try to shoot it. Macro, landscapes, portraits, abstract, action, low light, it goes on and on.

Hey, thanks for that. From those, I made this.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/BTilson/40DvsXSi.jpg

I think paint compressed it a bit, and it's pretty obvious that I just whipped this up in about 5 minutes, but all the crops are true size, 40D crops on the left, XSi crops on the right. The 40D seems to be sharper in most spots and it seems to handle color better, especially reds and oranges.

At least for me, I think the 40D is the clear winner. Now I just gotta get the cash together and go buy that bad boy! :)

http://www.dpnotes.com/comparisons/canon40dxsi450d.php

not sure if you have read this review. This review and recommendations by
some members on here helped me choosing between XSI and 40D a month ago :) and after shooting with my new EOS 40D for a few weeks I would say I really love it. I have used Rebel XTI that belonged to a friend of mine in the past so I have an idea what it feels to use it. Well the Rebel series are great cameras, no doubt but 40D is even better not only because of the larger size and speed and better AF but also other minor differences like a top LCD which is very useful and easier to use than reading the main LCD all the time.

Most reactions

Back