XTi (400d) "New" Firmware

Gaerek

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, it seems that someone has developed a third party firmware for the XTi. I know it's a fairly old camera at this point, but this firmware adds some features that could have/should have been available from the start. I just installed it and it seems to work just fine. I haven't heard of any XTi bricks being made by this, but as with all unsupported software, use at your own risk.

First of all, it adds an expanded ISO range. It's possible to get ISO 16 all the way up to ISO 3200 in 1/3 stop increments (XTi native range is ISO 100 to ISO 1600 in full stops). ISOs above 1600 for sure increase the noise, but there have been plenty of times before I would loved to have ISO 3200 and dealt with the noise just to get the shot.

It also adds spot metering, which to me was a pretty odd thing to leave out originally anyway.

Also, it allows you to choose multiple focus points, instead of just one or all. Not sure of the usefulness of this one yet, but I'm sure there's a time for it.

It adds a few other, fairly useless things, such as a factory menu that mainly has some diagnostic type things on it.

Anyway, just posting this to see if any XTi users are interested in it. There's some other features I'd love to see, such as more than three shots in a bracket, and even an extended Exposure Compensation range (+/- 3 or 4 stops instead of +/- 2 stops). But it's certainly an improvement on the original firmware.

I've seen this "hack". The program needs to be installed onto one's cf card. I sorta don't like the idea as I prefer to format my card every time it gets full.

I would like to be able to shoot at 3200 and use spot metering as well though.

I've seen this "hack". The program needs to be installed onto one's cf card. I sorta don't like the idea as I prefer to format my card every time it gets full.
That's the standard method of changing/upgrading the firmware. I'm guessing that this works the same as installing the factory firmware, you put the file on the card, use the camera's menu to update the firmware, then you can format the card as the file isn't needed any longer.

I was reading about this at length yesterday on another forum -- this hack requires a bootable CF card all the time and the 'hack' only stays in volatile memory rather than updating the firmware for good. Rather tricky if you ask me. :)

That's the standard method of changing/upgrading the firmware. I'm guessing that this works the same as installing the factory firmware, you put the file on the card, use the camera's menu to update the firmware, then you can format the card as the file isn't needed any longer.

It actually requires a bootable CF card that runs an autoexec file when the camera's turned on. It's somewhat annoying, but I'm really digging the ISO3200 and spot metering. To me, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. And like bahandi said, it's more of a hack than third party firmware. I forgot to post the link for anyone who wants to try it. The standard disclaimer applies here: Don't do this unless you are ok with the possibility of a bricked camera!

400D - CHDK Wiki

EDIT: bahandi beat me to the link :p

Well go figure :scratch:

I guess the good part is that you don't have to actually overwrite the firmware then?

There's actually a two step process to using this hack. The first is making your camera be able to boot off the CF card. There's a file you put on your card and use the firmware update option to install it. I don't think it overwrites the firmware, just modifies it to make the camera be able to boot from the CF card. The second part is making the CF card bootable and putting the autoexec file in the root directory.

Is this a dangerous thing to do to your camera, however? As with anything not supported by the manufacturer, you run the risk of damage, or warranty voiding, or any number of other things. For me though, this camera is getting close to the end of its useful life to me. Adding ISO3200 and spot metering makes it more useful, and will allow me to put off upgrading for a bit longer. I'm waiting for Canon to announce the 60d anyway before I get a new camera.

Most reactions

Back