Yahoo may sell Flickr

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's the link to the short article on PetaPixel: Yahoo May Sell Flickr and Its Core Internet Business

If Yahoo does sell Flickr, what does this mean to us Flickr users? Could it be a bad or a good thing?

I might have to start looking at other mediums for sharing my photos in case of a total meltdown.

Last edited:
depends how the new owners would want to monetize it.

Hopefully Google will show interest in it. But I just see Verizon being a bad thing.

NO! They already ruined Picasa.

The sale doesn't surprise me. They came in, made downgrades, and then scartched their heads why everyone stopped paying for it.

Hopefully Google will show interest in it. But I just see Verizon being a bad thing.

NO! They already ruined Picasa.

The sale doesn't surprise me. They came in, made downgrades, and then scartched their heads why everyone stopped paying for it.

Wow...Picasa..I haven't heard that in a long time. I remember using it a long time ago and you're right. Google did ruin it. Who do you think would do a good job with Flickr than Yahoo?

This is repeated over and over again.
business to compete buys other companies to gain marketshare or access to customers.
business gets too big. certain division / products aren't profitable.
business splits up

Banks, GE, yadda, yadda, yadda .. internet companies aren't exempt to this either.

What profit does Flickr give to the bottom line of Yahoo ?
How has yahoo been able to monetize Flickr. Get people to use Yahoo mail (which is a joke as they keep improving it making it more unuseable). I've practically abandoned using Yahoo except for Flickr and I access that directly, not through their portal.

And recently yahoo outsourced their ad marketing to Google though apparently only a test !!
But it tells you something isn't working inside Yahoo.

But who would buy it ?
Google? .. they have their own package
Microsoft - they also have their own package including advertising and they recently tried buying Yahoo.
Apple - not a chance
AT&T - why not regrow the elephant.
or maybe just let it shrivel up and blow away .. or merge with CompuServe/AOL.

It is all speculation. No one knows what the future holds for yahoo and Flickr. If you live in Silicon Valley, you probably know the CEO very well. She tried many aggressive tactics, and yup, most of them fail. But, it is not over yet, and she remains her head up. Her background is pretty awesome if you do some reseaches about her.

The first thing Yahoo did when they took over Flickr was de-monitize it.

They removed paid subscriptions for extended storage and features and made all those features open to all free accounts. They left some paid in options but they were at the extreme end that most won't need.

They then said - I think - that ads would appear to pay for the site or somesuch but that never really happened that I could see.

I think they honestly felt that Ghetty and stock sales would somehow generate enough income for them; but I doubt it has.

As for flickr it all depends who buys it - at what price and what their end goals are. It could be a good thing or a bad thing - sadly at present a LOT of website are feeling the bite of facebook. Forums and flickr and many others are seeing less and less use because people are just using facebook for a huge amount of social internetting. I suspect in flickr's case this is meaning that it might have to downsize to support a loyal but smaller-userbase. The key is to downsize before it falls apart - it doesn't want to be another Kodak situation where the market falls out from under it and it reels and tumbles into downsizing.

They then said - I think - that ads would appear to pay for the site or somesuch but that never really happened that I could see.
when youre not logged in, view someone's photostream.

They are going to steal everyone's photos and sell them to Getty.

They are going to steal everyone's photos and sell them to Getty.
Oops.
I already downloaded yours and sold them to Getty.
Sadly though, I had to pay for them to take them
:)

Yeah, it's an ad every 3 or 4 pictures... :icon_rolleyes:

Guess I'll go pull the last of my handful of photos off there.. not sure if I'm serious about that or not! lol but I hardly use Flickr anymore anyway, went from fun to lousy. Already lost the My yahoo page that I liked. Don't think I want to be one of the last rats off the sinking ship!?! :icon_pirat:

Sold 'em to Getty :lol: - wait - that's not funny! :aiwebs_016:

Shutterfly has really monetized their photo website.
I don't know how profitable they are but it's certainly a "make a mug, photo, etc" from your photo for a few $$.

Flickr sucks now since whatshername took over...good riddance if it goes...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back