Year's End on TPF

Nice post.

Regarding the following:

1) The experienced people all commit to posting more pictures and actually taking some chances with their work. Both of these acts would be great examples for new people and opportunity for a higher level of critique.

It is my perception that, once you get to a certain level of skill, the posting of your images in this forum (and others) is discouraged and posters of these images are accused of looking for pats on the back.
I see this is as at least one reason why many skilled photographers stop posting or leave all together.

Nice post.

Regarding the following:

1) The experienced people all commit to posting more pictures and actually taking some chances with their work. Both of these acts would be great examples for new people and opportunity for a higher level of critique.

It is my perception that, once you get to a certain level of skill, the posting of your images in this forum (and others) is discouraged and posters of these images are accused of looking for pats on the back.
I see this is as at least one reason why many skilled photographers stop posting or leave all together.

I think the patting on the back comes from experienced people posting 'safe' photos.

It seems like a lot of posters fall into two categories. Not all do, but several...

1) The relatively new guy whose skin hasn't thickened yet, and is still trying to emulate the technical aspects of others' photos. Hence, their photos tend to be very blah in content while they try to work on technical perfection.

2) The experienced photographer who is known for x style or has mastered the technical aspects, but doesn't post any unusual or "edgy" photos because they're also afraid of negative feedback or they're afraid of hurting their reputation on the site.

There are also many exceptions, but this might be where the "fishing for compliments" perception comes from...

that being said, I do hope that more people experiment and try new things.

Last edited:
Far too many times have I posted something with one or no comments.

This topic has been kicked around the forum quite a lot. I think everybody has their own opinion about it, and their own reasons for not responding. Mine include, but are not limited to:

It can be so bad that I wouldn't have the time to do a critique justice.
It can be so good that I have absolutely nothing to add.
It can be primarily about editing, which I know next to nothing, and therefore I won't comment.

Try not to be discouraged by no comments. Just post again, using a more interesting photograph.

Also: Are you aware that The_Traveler (Lew) has attempted to standardize the format wherein someone could post and ask for critique? AFAIK, his efforts went by the wayside, as most people simply didn't care to learn a better way to ask for critique.

Nice post.

Regarding the following:

I disagree. IMO, the more skilled photographers are just tired of arguing with the newbies. Just to clarify; I do not mean you.

And this place isn't nearly as bad as a forum like Dgrin. Seriously, it's like a circlejerk of the 5 same people posting mediocre studio shots of seniors and half-naked women. It's a more racy Olan Mills. And when someone does break out of the box and post something that's even more lame than the studio shots, everyone still praises them.

However, they either crucify or ignore new people.

When I compare that forum to this one, I'm thankful for the more mature and interesting atmosphere of TPF.

As always Lew, I enjoyed your writing

.... I actually was a moderator until about a year ago when a picture I posted caused an incredible discussion that revealed a lot of attitudes I didn't want to know - and sure didn't want to support, so I left.....
You were one of them? Oh... and now I'm curious what happened.... :???:

....What I wish for the New Year:
2) That everyone realizes that fill light or more equipment isn't always the answer to every question.

That's one of the most annoying things I read here...I thought I'm the only one...

Nice post.

Regarding the following:

I disagree. IMO, the more skilled photographers are just tired of arguing with the newbies. Just to clarify; I do not mean you.

So does that mean I'm not skilled or I'm not sick of arguing? ;)

I'm not going to pretend I know what the business model for a forum like this is, but if having a high number of active members is a priority, I imagine meeting the needs of newbies takes a front seat to retaining more experienced members - many of which will move on as they gain experience, regardless of what the forum does. People have only so much free time and if the payback isn't there, they will move on. Yes, there are people who get satisfaction from giving back and teaching and that's a great thing. But not everyone is looking for that - at least not 100% of the time. I think a forum benefits from having an active membership that contains a good number of skilled photographers, but keeping things interesting for them is a challenge.

I'm reminded of learning tennis. You only get better by playing with people who are better than you are. But if people won't play with people who are worse, it can be hard to get better.
Which I guess is why people pay tennis pros to play with them.

Perhaps what is needed is a critique sub-forum where one should expect tough critique and where tough critique/discussion is encouraged.

Sorry for rambling. The benefits of online photo sharing with respect to personal artistic growth has been on my mind lately.
I'm thinking of late that it can be rather detrimental to finding your own style - if that's important to you.

As always Lew, I enjoyed your writing

.... I actually was a moderator until about a year ago when a picture I posted caused an incredible discussion that revealed a lot of attitudes I didn't want to know - and sure didn't want to support, so I left.....
You were one of them? Oh... and now I'm curious what happened.... :???:

....What I wish for the New Year:
2) That everyone realizes that fill light or more equipment isn't always the answer to every question.

That's one of the most annoying things I read here...I thought I'm the only one...

Annoying as it may be, you hear "needs fill light" a lot because often times, fill light IS the answer. If you dont have any way to add light, then more equipment IS the answer. Its not always expensive equipment, but you can only do so much with your kit lens shooting people in natural light at nighttime.

I couldn't shoot a lot of what i shoot without additional equipment besides a camera and a lens.

Also... Excellent post Lew!

Very nice thread Lew.

Just to clarify; I do not mean you.

So does that mean I'm not skilled or I'm not sick of arguing?

Ha, ha!

To your point: Frankly, I have not noticed that there is any discouragement of the more experienced photographers posting. I have noticed that some of the more experienced photographers left after arguing. I am simply guessing that they left because they were tired of arguing in mostly pointless arguments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back