yep, me again looking for help

That's why there is that saying "learn something new everyday" :mrgreen: You're done for the day now :D

I store my original camera files (raw or jpg) in folders by date shot and backup to CD, scans in folder by event or month. I always edit a copy of the file on my second hard drive so I do writher over the original by mistake.

JonMikal,
For printing it depends on how fast of a computer you have..... really.... :lol:

I print all of my stuff at 600 dpi. mainly because my computer/printer can handle it. If they can't handle it I would just go with 300 dpi.
Remember to use the photo paper and not just normal paper.

I usually just use .psd(photoshop file) to print.... I didn't know TIFF was better.... if it is.... I'll do a test later today.

I'm glad you asked this.... tomorrow I am going to be taking LOTS of photos and printing them out asap.
I'm going to a Golf Tournament and I have the wonderful task of taking action pictures, printing them out, and selling them to the golfers/fans.

so, I'll have my laptop there with my printer and a LOT of paper and ink.... lol

Figuring out how to print is really just trial and error.... good luck. :)

I usually make a copy of the RAW file I am editing to keep the orginal. As far as printing I have been using TIFF format and find a commercial printer and a color profile for their printer on site from http://www.drycreekphoto.com (only found one for the district http://drycreekphoto.com/Frontier/Profiles/DC_frontier_profiles.htm#DC ). The reason for that last step is to edit the file and the view the file with the printer's color profile. Usually there is not a noticeable difference but once and awhile you might notice it.

I archive using a DVD burner or if you are really worried about the images. Try getting two External Hard drive. One for a backup at your place and one at a different location incase the worst happens.

eromallagadnama said:
Hmm, I guess I was unaware that it is bad to print jpeg files. I have done this for quite sometime now and the results are great, but then again I'm not comparing them to TIFF files either. I may have to give this a shot and compare the two...can it really be that much worse? Remember digital is new to me so sometimes I do things the crazy way :lol:

That was the thing I forgot to add about WHCC is that they want JPEg's not even saved at the highest quality. I think it's at the 10 setting and they are a lab used by pros.

At this time they offer up to a 30X40 and are working to offer even larger prints in the near future.

LittleMan said:
JonMikal,
For printing it depends on how fast of a computer you have..... really.... :lol:

I print all of my stuff at 600 dpi. mainly because my computer/printer can handle it. If they can't handle it I would just go with 300 dpi.
Remember to use the photo paper and not just normal paper.

I usually just use .psd(photoshop file) to print.... I didn't know TIFF was better.... if it is.... I'll do a test later today.

I'm glad you asked this.... tomorrow I am going to be taking LOTS of photos and printing them out asap.
I'm going to a Golf Tournament and I have the wonderful task of taking action pictures, printing them out, and selling them to the golfers/fans.

so, I'll have my laptop there with my printer and a LOT of paper and ink.... lol

Figuring out how to print is really just trial and error.... good luck. :)

Keep in mind that I'm no authority of home printers so here is my 2 cents. It has been my understanding that home printers can't resolve anything over 125 to 400 dpi.

All your succeeding in doing is printing a huge file and wasting a lot of time for your computer to process and your printer to spool that file as well as storage space. If your doing to have folks waiting on these that may be something you want to think about

steve817 said:
Keep in mind that I'm no authority of home printers so here is my 2 cents. It has been my understanding that home printers can't resolve anything over 125 to 400 dpi.

All your succeeding in doing is printing a huge file and wasting a lot of time for your computer to process and your printer to spool that file as well as storage space. If your doing to have folks waiting on these that may be something you want to think about

The newer prints can handle the larger files (canon and epson atleat) with the dye inks. However there is still a debate on the life of the photo. But they are getting better, again I believe they are for sure hitting the 50+ years with claims of 100+ year if handled right. Course that is depended on variables.

Most reactions

Back