Yep, was in the graveyard by myself again, CC plz

I like the last two the best of the set.#3 perferably. I don't know if it's just me, because I do have a dysfunction in my eyes and sometimes looking at certain patterns really hurt my eyes so I find that the OOF areas of the bark on the tree in the first two photos are pretty hard on my eyes.

Also when you get an off camera flash system goin, you can use it to create shadows in the engravings, making the words easier to capture.

Kinda like this:
1111814126_DEd9J-XL.jpg

"One if by land, two if by sea"

For this one, I was trying to capture those little dents in the tombstone, which were caused my musket balls from angry British soldiers during the battle of bunker hill.
1071753689_NgyJU-M.jpg

Nice, another one who likes grave stones....however, these aren't as historic looking as the one I was doing.

Last edited:
I'm a big Ol' fan of selective desaturation.

Now, the way it works in my mind, is this is nothing like selective coloring (which I generally dislike).

I don't remove colors entirely, I just bring the down a bit (some more than others). For example, a grassy portrait- I kinda of despise yellow in grass, so I will desaturate the yellow 80%, green maybe 10%, and then go from there. Sometimes I like to desaturate skin tones and make everything just kind of muted.

Please stop what you're doing and download this free program Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 | photo management software beta - Adobe Labs

Let me know when you do so and we can go from there. ;)

I didn't consider my faded desaturated photo "selective coloring." Selective coloring would have been adding a layer and making everything b&w but the rose. Anyway, I need to re-shoot this, it is walking distance from my house.

I'm looking forward to HDR going out of style one just as selective coloring has
badteeth.gif

I'm looking forward to HDR going out of style one just as selective coloring has
badteeth.gif

Bless you, Brother! Amen to that! (and hell... I ain't even religious!) ;)

I'm a big Ol' fan of selective desaturation.Now, the way it works in my mind, is this is nothing like selective coloring (which I generally dislike).I don't remove colors entirely, I just bring the down a bit (some more than others). For example, a grassy portrait- I kinda of despise yellow in grass, so I will desaturate the yellow 80%, green maybe 10%, and then go from there. Sometimes I like to desaturate skin tones and make everything just kind of muted.Please stop what you're doing and download this free program Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 | photo management software beta - Adobe LabsLet me know when you do so and we can go from there. ;)
I didn't consider my faded desaturated photo "selective coloring." Selective coloring would have been adding a layer and making everything b&w but the rose. Anyway, I need to re-shoot this, it is walking distance from my house.
I never said your photo was selective coloring.

badteeth.gif
:confused:

HDR can release the limitations of your camera. Why do you wish to be shackled?

As for me.. I like HDR when used to increase the dynamic range in photos by fusing multiple exposures together (in a relatively realistic manner!). However ( and I suspect it is this that 2Wheel is referring to, also) I detest the overdone, overprocessed, overtoned photos that are so common to those who think their shots have to look similar to something Timothy Leary, or Hunter S. Thompson might have dreamed up......

badteeth.gif
:confused:

HDR can release the limitations of your camera. Why do you wish to be shackled?

As for me.. I like HDR when used to increase the dynamic range in photos by fusing multiple exposures together (in a relatively realistic manner!). However ( and I suspect it is this that 2Wheel is referring to, also) I detest the overdone, overprocessed, overtoned photos that are so common to those who think their shots have to look similar to something Timothy Leary, or Hunter S. Thompson might have dreamed up......

Indeed
bigthumb.gif

You should see this photo hanging on a wall. I've had it printed at 20x16" in a boxed frame on lustre paper and on metallic paper mounted on gatorboard in a floating frame. It is probably my favorite landscape shot I've taken. I don't really do a lot of HDR shots, but there is no way I could get this level of detail out of one exposure.

I'm a big Ol' fan of selective desaturation.Now, the way it works in my mind, is this is nothing like selective coloring (which I generally dislike).I don't remove colors entirely, I just bring the down a bit (some more than others). For example, a grassy portrait- I kinda of despise yellow in grass, so I will desaturate the yellow 80%, green maybe 10%, and then go from there. Sometimes I like to desaturate skin tones and make everything just kind of muted.Please stop what you're doing and download this free program Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 | photo management software beta - Adobe LabsLet me know when you do so and we can go from there. ;)
I never said your photo was selective coloring.

Others referred to it as selective coloring. As far as all this HDR (which I am not into) and selective coloring....it is preference. I'm not fond of this new fad of the 1960's vintage look, but hey, if that is what someone likes, then go for it.

You should see this photo hanging on a wall. I've had it printed at 20x16" in a boxed frame on lustre paper and on metallic paper mounted on gatorboard in a floating frame. It is probably my favorite landscape shot I've taken. I don't really do a lot of HDR shots, but there is no way I could get this level of detail out of one exposure.

Beautiful shot! Absolutely! (I would love to visit an area like that someday! ) But your shot is not overdone, or overprocessed... it is nicely done! I will occasionally do HDR also.. and I try to maintain a slightly surreal "realistic" look also. I sometimes use it just to bring out the extra detail in a snow scene... since they are typically have a very high dynamic range. HDR is useful... when not abused!

(to be honest, I have even seen some that were heavily overprocessed and over toned... that I absolutely loved! But it is how it was done, and what the subject was, that made it a keeper... just as there are some Selective color shots I love, although they are rare)

Most reactions

Back