yes the person is out of focus, and?

Discussion in 'General Critical Analysis' started by newrmdmike, Jun 24, 2007.

1. nomade

nomade TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am sorry I am givin a late reply, I don't mix between intentional or interesting, totally different words with different usage, why would I use one in the place of another.

However, I meant this focusing issue seems unintentional(quite purposeless), and even if it was intentional, the photo with this composure isn't interesting, I need to search for what would make you post this one here and defend it that way, I understood the situation, but I don't understand your composition, I don't understand it, the focus is not logical here. I don't get a feel out of this.

It doesn't feel good, some people like it, some don't, I don't like it or hate it, this one doesn't speak to me. And this is the bottom line, your intentions count for nothing, unless they match what I see here, unless this one delivers.

Critique isn't merely an opinion, I am assigning a value to your work, a personal one. And personally, this doesn't work for me.

Keep working, we all do things up to our own satisfaction and personal values, you like it, good for you. Others don't have to...

2. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Photo is fantastic; wouldnt it have been so much better if it were on like a street corner or something - wishful thinking, I digress -

From a purely layman perspective, it really is a good shot, and something a person would want to keep and reflect back on. Even KNOWING the guy was out of focus (it was the first thing I went to as its in the threa ttitle) didnt ruin the picture - its called a "happy accident". . .noone here can say they haven't taken a picture that didnt come out the way they wanted, and instead came out with something better or just as good.

3. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

Not all photos are good/bad for the same reason. If this was a purposeful comment, I would have liked the picture because you used it to make a statement. If it was an accident, then it meant less because I was not responding to your wit and ability.

4. shorty6049

shorty6049 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    i just want to make myself a little clearer... i feel like some things are better if you dont know the story behind them, like if you saw a really cool piece of art, and you really liked it, then found out it was the result of a mistake the artist made and it was actually supposed to look like something completely different. would you feel the same way about it? i'm sure that some people would say yes, but personally i'd say no. but thats MY opinion of art i guess. i feel like there should be intent behind what is presented. If i took a picture with the main subject out of focus by accident, i probably would just end up deleting it. but you didnt, and thats fine with me, its a good photo, i just dont think you shoud tell US how to critique a photo...

5. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    shorty, your wrong. i chose this . . . come august i'll put up the other shots from the thread and you'll find it was quite purposful.

critique the shot, not my text.

6. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great. I was hoping this thread would come back to life.

I've had a bit of a change in outlook on this shot. I'd explain, but I'm really, really, beat right now and not feeling very substantive or having a firm basis in reality.

7. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :) i look forward to your comments abraxis . . .

also, if i came off as rude shorty i didn't mean to.

and traveler i see where your coming from now . . . and will take it as a lesson as to always take credit for whatever happens in the future, lol!

8. shorty6049

shorty6049 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    no, i'm not wrong because it was an opinion, and i should be entitled to that. and i know it may not be right of me to not like a photo as much because there was no intent on blurryness, thats just how i felt about it, and no matter what you said, i would still feel however i wanted about it, i told you I liked the photo, and i read that you had some purpose behind the man being blurry, and thats why i like it. if you HADNT meant to do that, i would have sort of felt like you were being lazy or somethign for not bothering to check the focus or anything. I really dont want to argue about this, i've said what i needed to say, and thats just my opinion, take it or leave it....

9. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

newrmdmick,

When I first seen the shot I figured it would be more appropriate in the general gallery. After thinking about it though, this is probably the best place for it.

I liked the shot initially. The guy in it reminds me of an uncle of mine, a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy- No plan, but a hell of a survivor.

The tilt was first kind of buggy to me, and the blurry face, I think both of these elements reminded me of one of my favorite movies, Jacob's Ladder; an intriguing and disturbing saga of one man's journey sinking through variations of hell and hallucination. BTW, I watched it with my grandson yesterday against the recommendations of my ex-daughter-in-law, that it would "mess with his head." It did (is).

So anyhow, the shot has some nice mechanical/technical elements that lead me around it. The tilt left in, well, that makes the shot a bit more- My uncle's will to survive takes priority over plumbing. Looks like that's the case here. I bet the guy does pretty good work, although it may be slightly off square.

I like that the shot got me to thinking. That lasts longer than analyzing a photo by numbers. I even left the accidental tilt in one of my structual shots. Apparently I've been influenced. I should mention though, when I did post it (...?) the first comment I recieved, was that, "it needs squaring up." I figured- so?

Nice work.