YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is how I explained the situation to Corry on MSN chat ;-) :

Corry: What is open source, Novell, and SCO?

Sky: weeeeeeelll...

Corry: I guess I could actually just click on the link, but you know I love it when you talk nerdy to me, baby

Sky: open source means software that is free and whose source code is published to the public so anyone can fiddle with it

Corry: Ooooh
Corry: http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90294 << that's why I asked

Sky: Unix is an OS that is open source, and Novell and SCO have been having a legal battle lately over who owns the copyrights to Unix (basically)

Corry: ohhh

Sky: and SCO is a money grubbing whore who wants to claim they own Unix and make money off of it

Corry: haha

Sky: and Novell are the good guys

Corry: I see

Sky: and Novell just won the legal battle

Corry: Sweet!
Corry: Ok...after all that nerdy talk...I'm ready...ravish me!

What's wrong with making money?

*ducks and hides*

no but seriously... who here pays for software anyway?

I know right, who pays for software anymore? Dont we all just download our programs illegally, oops i probably shouldnt have said that online, the FBI must be watching, i would never ever download programs illegally ;).

I know right, who pays for software anymore? Dont we all just download our programs illegally, oops i probably shouldnt have said that online, the FBI must be watching, i would never ever download programs illegally ;).

Yeah!!! It's great. The same thing even works for digital photos - right click and they're mine!!!! Why should I pay a photographer? Or musician?

yep - I write software for a living. It's STEALING people. It's WRONG. And if somebody did it to you I would expect you to be pissed. Attitudes like this do nothing but corrupt the entire concept of trademark, patent, or copyright. If you're using pirated software you have no right to ***** if somebody snags your photos...

Yeah, how 'bout we don't talk about pirating software on the forum? It might be a good idea to edit some of those posts.

Not really a good idea, and not a type of conversation we allow on TPF.

Yeah!!! It's great. The same thing even works for digital photos - right click and they're mine!!!! Why should I pay a photographer? Or musician?

yep - I write software for a living. It's STEALING people. It's WRONG. And if somebody did it to you I would expect you to be pissed. Attitudes like this do nothing but corrupt the entire concept of trademark, patent, or copyright. If you're using pirated software you have no right to ***** if somebody snags your photos...

Oh, so you have never downloaded music? Or anything illegally? Ever? ;)

Personally, I believe in Open Source, and have been an open source supporter/programmer since I was 14. To me source code = information and information should be free. I don't see the problem with it if I want to fix your program error, without wanting anything in return but to give back to a good program. A little embarrsed that you coded a bug? (It happens! :))

1.) All of my music comes through either the original CD or iTunes. So yeah, I guess. I have a business, and there is far too much risk should I even WANT to download anything illegally. There is nothing on my computers that does not comply with license terms. In fact, I believe that having unlicensed software would invalidate some of my business insurance.

2.) Open Source is open source. You can do whatever you want as long as it complies with the licenses. I use, endorse, and participate in the open source concept when and where it is both appropriate and applied. For many purposes it is fantastic. I have no problem with quality of the code either. But open source is designated as such through application of a specific set of license terms.

Pirating is something completely different. If a company chooses to enforce their copyright then I am legally and (IMHO) morally bound to comply. I do enforce the copyrights on my software. It's how I feed my kids. If I choose to do open source then that is my choice but if I do not I will enforce my copyrights to the fullest extent possible.

The point is - the consumer does not get the option to designate software as open source. The right belongs to the author. This is little different than a magazine scanning ThePhotoForum and downloading images for their own use. If that happened the entire photographic community would revolt. So this attitude is (for a creative group) a bit hypocritical.

Selective application of copyright is a slippery slope, and as a group involved in creating images (some for profit even) we should do everything we can to strengthen copyrights.

Without getting too philosopical, legality and morality are in the eye of the beholder. I agee that people should be paid for there code, but I think there is too much emphesis on what makes money, and not what is actually good code or programming (ie Windows).

Your argument is based on the simple assumption that if someone downloads my image they are going to make money on it. IF you download my image and try to make money off of it, then I would be mad. But if you just try to pass it off as your own, I could care less. So then, with that logic, why should someone have to pay for a program that won't create any income for them. I should have to dish out $600 or more for a program that I only want to tinker around with? Or I should not be allowed to "play with the big boys" because I don't have the money to?

I work a lot with low income clients, who in the course of different theraupic methods we try and introduce to expressive means of communication and such. I do some graphic design type stuff with some of them. So they should not be able to enjoy something and better themselves because they are poor?

Once again, it is a slipperly slope, but understand all sides of the issue before you take a side. And I will be the first to say that I am biased against large companies anyway.

I did for a while, and still do, write freelance code for *NIX systems, so I understand the whole feeding the family thing, but that does not give me the right to withhold something great from a social minority because of money.

WOW!!! Time to get off my soapbox!

P.S. I am not writing this angerly (is that a word?), I am very even, and enjoy debate. Definitely not a personal attack! :D;)

You do realize that a moderator has already stated that piracy conversations are not to be held on TPF, right?

Take it to Pm or elsewhere if you wish to continue.

I'm with GTKelly all the way on this.

Good explanation.

WOW! I am just making points people. I personally don't steal, and own my copies of Photoshop and Lightroom. But for the sake of everything and everyone on here, I will stop now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back