YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Certainly nothing angry or personal received on this end. :wink:

And as Corry stated this has outlived it's usefulness. It has been nothing more than an intelligent and reasonable debate (my definition of intelligent is also open for debate however). This is a much larger issue than we'll ever resolve here.

Now I'm out to take picts of a gold mine! :mrgreen:

Certainly nothing angry or personal received on this end. :wink:

And as Corry stated this has outlived it's usefulness. It has been nothing more than an intelligent and reasonable debate (my definition of intelligent is also open for debate however). This is a much larger issue than we'll ever resolve here.

Now I'm out to take picts of a gold mine! :mrgreen:

I am glad you saw it the same way that I did! Can't wait to see the pics! :mrgreen:

To clarify: A little debate is fine, but in this thread we have people admitting to piracy, asking what others have pirated, ect. Due to problems we've had in the past with people bragging about it, or asking where they can get pirated software, we don't allow things like that.

If you can debate without talking about what you've personally pirated or what others have pirated or how to pirate....then feel free.

However, do please remember that 'piracy: for or against' is not what the person who started this thread had in mind as a subject. ;)

Corry said:
However, do please remember that 'piracy: for or against' is not what the person who started this thread had in mind as a subject. ;)

As that person, I will have to say YUP!
I started this thread because I am happy that Novell won, and as such SCO's attempt to exist through lawsuits instead of quality products and good sales teams and the things that all good businesses are made of has begun to be thwarted. In fact it is possible that SCO could cease to exist as a result of this. I study business and money, and the only business that should make money through lawsuits are lawyers! And in the long run usually lawyers are the big winners in lawsuits! (Not a dig, lawyers serve a purpose as much as doctors, IT people, etc. It is an honest profession that is made fun of because of a few bad eggs, that could be said of many professions)

I have my own computer business and I sell MS products from time to time. I think piracy is a crime. I like open source for the most part, even though I do not hack code (not hack computers.... that is different and part of piracy). All of what I consider to be the three types of programs have their place. (These are Open source, which can be free or paid for Closed source free programs, for example MSN messenger or acrobat reader, and closed source paid for software, such as MS windows Adobe PS or dreamweaver).

Meysha said:
What's wrong with making money?
Obviously, I have no problem with making money, there are many companies that make money selling open source, to name a few, Novell, Red Hat, Mandriva, etc. and even more that make money supporting open source, for example the above plus Canonical(Ubuntu) and many many small companies like my own!
I don't mind companies that make money on Closed source like MS (Bill Gates is a genius for coming up with the idea of licencing DOS to IBM rather than selling them the code outright. He is still making money on that! I don't think he's as big of a geek, or nerd if you are Corry, as people think. I think he is a BRILLIANT business man though!)

But to get back to the subject I started, SCO lost this round (and should have) because they were tring to lay claim to something they don't own, in order to sue many other companies for using it. The judge ruled that Novell owns copyrights to UNIX and are able to waive those if they choose (which they have) and now Linux can be free of worry.
As well, SCO claimed there was UNIX code in Linux, but refused to say what code. One of the beauties of Open source is that since they made such a claim and if it had been true, (which it most likely wasn't) In the next version of the linux Kernel, that code would be GONE! The thousands of coders would have removed said code and replaced it with something else.

Ok, I think I have said enough for now.

I don't mind companies that make money on Closed source like MS (Bill Gates is a genius for coming up with the idea of licencing DOS to IBM rather than selling them the code outright. He is still making money on that! I don't think he's as big of a geek, or nerd if you are Corry, as people think. I think he is a BRILLIANT business man though!)

I absolutely agree. I knew some people that used to work for him, and from what I heard, and understood, he was not a big g33k, or coder, but a brilliant business man and visionary. I personally can't stand him, but thats another story.

Considering I use Linux and Unix machines everyday, this was a big win. Of course, this was not something that most of us in the community were overly worried about, because we knew it was crap, luckily though the courts saw it that way!

Long Live Open Source!!!!! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back