Yet another newcomer to this outstanding forum

stick35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been lurking around this forum for a few days now and I love it! I want to introduce myself now and tell my story of the moment that the photography bug bit me.

First - my name is Stan, I'm 41 and I live around Boston Massachusetts.

Up until October of this year, photography was not something I had a big interest in. I owned a simple 110 camera for years, but I don't know how I got it and I barely ever used it. A couple of years ago I was on vacation with the family and we decided to buy a digital camera - a Kodak DX4330. Even then I just didn't have any passion for it and just used it to record vacation/birthday/party moments.

In September I got a new Cell phone that had some features that I needed and it happened to come with a built-in camera. I tried it a few times, but generally didn't care about the camera feature.

Then it happened. Last month I was in my car driving around in my home town listening to a book on CD. I have a long commute to work and I have become hooked on listening to audio books to help pass the commute time. So, it's raining a little - just a slight drizzle - and as I pass a field to my right I see a cow standing right up against the wire fence just a couple of feet off the road. I love animals of all kinds and I though "hmmm - this is a good chance to use that camera phone". I turned the car around, parked across the street from the cow and walked across the road. She couldn't care less that I was walking up to her. I got to within 2 or 3 feet from her, held my phone out and took 5 pictures. I went home and transferred the pictures to my PC and printed them to show the family. As I showed my pictures, something snapped inside me. I suddenly had a desire to photograph everything I could whenever I could.

I started taking my digital camera everywhere. During lunch at work I drove around and took pictures around the farms in the area. Weekends I would drive around looking for landscape and nature photo opportunities.

To make a long story endless... a month and about $1,000 later, I now own a new Nikon N75 SLR film camera. It came with 2 Nikkor lenses (a 28-80mm and a 70-300mm), UV filters for the lenses, a Nikon camera bag and a couple of other things. I have bought about 10 photography books and a bunch of photography magazines. I also talked my wife into letting me get a new SB-50DX Speedlight flash.

So here I am. Thanks for reading my story. I wonder if some of you had similar moments where you realized that the photography bug had bitten you? I look forward to participating in your great group here.

Here is the best of the 5 pictures I took of that cow: (keep in mind that it is just from a camera-phone, so the quality is not very good)

cow.jpg

welcome ... thats a cute cow :D

i remember we had a guy who took photographs with a disposable box camera and they were great, had us all fooled :lol: ... i wonder if he's still around

Howdy, welcome to the forum.

Back in '95 or '96 I bought one of Kodak's first digital cameras (I think it was the DC-25?). I wasn't into photography so much as computer illustration and graphic design. I wanted the camera as more of a 3D scanner. I started taking some pics, and then I started researching how I could make my pics better. One thing lead to another, and then I was hooked on photography. Now I shoot almost exclusively with cameras that are older than I am (35), and I have my own darkroom.

Hi, my name is ksmattfish. I am a photoholic.

Neat story and a neat pic, welcome aboard!

I love your story! You had a life-changing moment that lit that artist inside you.....you're doomed, like the rest of us! So welcome! You've come to the right place! :wink:

Me, I was into hand-tinting B&W photographs that weren't my own....it was a nifty little hobby that I made some money on.....but not too long after I started it I craved, I mean CRAVED, the idea of getting my own images to tint...then it became more about the images and less about the tinting, though I still enjoy that. I started kinda back-asswards.....I seem to have a knack for it. :D

Glad you're here. I do like your cow. She was so cooperative wasn't she?

Welcome in!

I was always thinkin' "...shouda had a camera..." no matter what I was doing. I got a little Logitech Quickcam Traveller to begin. I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg only to find out that I didn't like it... but I found that I was using it pretty much daily. So I got me a Canon A-70 and Photoshop 7 and here I am...

I'm looking at a better digi-cam, as I still use daily, and my 'shop skillz are slowly improving due to on-line tuts and the advice of a friend. The cam is always with me, and I'm never gonna say that old '...shoulda...' line again.

Once again, welcome.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back