Fangman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Rob5037.jpg

Rob5034.jpg

Rob5036.jpg

I swear it knows I want it to pose on the spade handle - Keeps giving me that look and goes everywhere but . . . . Then the Starlings raid and clear up the tempting tit-bits!

Great photos, but Im 99% sure you got photos of a female bluebird not a robin!

Ranger, this IS a robin all right.
They look different here in Europe, and this one IS a robin. Nothing else.
You robins over in the States look very, very different, I know.

Nice ones, Fangman.
I think our (European!) robins are among the cutest of birds.

Great photos, but Im 99% sure you got photos of a female bluebird not a robin!
The Robin has been a favourite bird here in UK and N Europe for centuries, part of folk law , nursery rhymes etc and when the settlers arrived your side of the pond they found none so the first reddish bird got named after their favourite of home. Your robin is more the size of our Redstart - of the Thrush family but red breasted.

This little fellow is about the size of your chickadee or a Texan thumb!

and when the settlers arrived your side of the pond they found none so the first reddish bird got named after their favourite of home.

Wow, I see, I never knew this! Thanks!

So it is like with elk, when the settlers arrived over there, they named the red deer as elk, since they could not find any real elk over there. Later, when the discovered that there actually was real elk over there, they did not have a name for it anymore since they already gave it away to the red deer ;)

So they just thought for a second, and then called the re-discovered animal moose, which is taken from native American language ...

By now, elk is extinct in the UK, so people forgot about it mostly, but they still exist in some parts of Europe and therefore by Americans are sometimes called European elk :p

sorry for this deviation from the topic :p

nice shots by the way :) .. the last one has the focus gone astray a bit. I really like the second one.

#2 is the winning shot.

Living in New Zealand I miss Robins, but our cheecky little fantails make up for it. Will have to take a shot of one of those little fellows soon.

Most reactions

Back