YN 460 462 and manual flash

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Forgive what might be a dumb question, but...

I have a conon 400d. I am just looking now at the YN460 and YN462 on eBay and there's only a couple of quid difference. I need a flash, but I am basically broke, so I was going to buy one of these...but, I read that I wouldn't be able to use these TTL. I'm not sure what this means, and I am not sure how to use the flash, either on the hotshoe, or off camera. I believe these flashes will fire with the camera flash triggering them, but then I read about "manual" flash. What is this?

If the flash were put on the hotshoe, would I be able to control it from camera (400d), or not? I am a novice with flash, only having the built in flash up to now.

I'd appreciate some idea of how i would use a flash like this before I buy...I look forward to hearing your expert advice!

Thanks

Craig

I recently got the YN-467 off eBay myself and it's great! I'd say to save up the couple extra bucks for the 467 or 468. The only thing that cheesed me off was that the bounce card and diffuser are cheapy done so that broke the 4th time i extended them.

It works quite well with using the on-camera flash to trigger it. Put it in to S2 and it'll work. Just have to adjust your power manually. But you can eventually eyeball how much you'll need.

I've only just started getting into off-camera flash but it's a pretty good one to start with.

I recently got the YN-467 off eBay myself and it's great! I'd say to save up the couple extra bucks for the 467 or 468. The only thing that cheesed me off was that the bounce card and diffuser are cheapy done so that broke the 4th time i extended them.

It works quite well with using the on-camera flash to trigger it. Put it in to S2 and it'll work. Just have to adjust your power manually. But you can eventually eyeball how much you'll need.

I've only just started getting into off-camera flash but it's a pretty good one to start with.

Just had a look on eBay - the 467 is £60 and the 468 is £69...think I might have a look at buying one of those. The 468 has digital display, and can move the zoom manually too. So, when the flash is on the camera hotshoe, the camera tells the flash what power to give if it's TTL? on a Canon 400d?

Most reactions

Back