Yongnuo 622 TX as a remote trigger

Here's picture of the setup. The 603 triggers are pulled away from hanging straight down with a strip of tape, just to make them visible for this picture. What you can't see is a third 603 on camera #3 which is capturing this frame. It's a fourth 603 in my hand that's triggering the whole set.

This is on Canon stuff, but the Yongnuo is supposed to work the same across Canon or Nikon.
35700-1487213419-7ea39755c48f4bceab11bf8548b1af7c.jpg

Here's picture of the setup. The 603 triggers are pulled away from hanging straight down with a strip of tape, just to make them visible for this picture. What you can't see is a third 603 on camera #3 which is capturing this frame. It's a fourth 603 in my hand that's triggering the whole set.

This is on Canon stuff, but the Yongnuo is supposed to work the same across Canon or Nikon.

Which is awesome.

But I need the trigger to be mounted on a camera and activated by pressing the shutter button, so that when I take a photo with camera one using the shutter button, camera 2 also takes a photo.

Doesn't have to be exactly synced to the same moment.. the goal is to have a camera on a tripod capturing wide shots of a dance recital while I take tight shots with the camera in my hand.

From what I gather, the yongnuos aren't able to do this. I found a thread on sports shooter that states that the shutter release is only linked to the test button, and cannot be activated by the hot shoe.

On the 622's you have to use the test button. With the 603's you *can* use the normal shutter release button. With the camera you can't see from my picture above, I actually had to take a few pictures before getting the flash going off in the frame. In the process of taking those pictures, I was (accidentally) going back and forth between the shutter button on the camera and the remote.

Edit: Hang on... I'm going to go test this to make sure I'm remembering it correctly...

Edit #2: Sorry, it didn't work that way. When using the normal shutter release, it *didn't* trigger the chain.

Last edited:
I'm writing this to help me recall this, and maybe help others...

The 603 operates in one of two transmit modes or one of two receive modes, for a total of four possible modes.

The selected mode is based on what’s attached to the trigger (or not). The mode numbers below are just my numbers that I’m making up as I type this. They may or may not match anything that Yongnuo has designated.

Mode 1: receive for flash. Selected by having a live flash unit in the hotshoe of the trigger. It will fire the flash through the main (center) pin of the hotshoe when it receives the appropriate burst of RF energy from another trigger.

Mode 2: transmit for flash. Selected by putting the trigger into a camera hotshoe. Sends a burst of RF energy. Any listening trigger (mode 1 above) will then respond.

Mode 3: receive for remote release. Selected by having a cable plugged into the trigger which hopefully is then plugged into the camera.

Mode 4: transmit for remote release. Selected by having nothing attached to the trigger and simply pressing the big round button.

I'm writing this to help me recall this, and maybe help others...

The 603 operates in one of two transmit modes or one of two receive modes, for a total of four possible modes.

The selected mode is based on what’s attached to the trigger (or not). The mode numbers below are just my numbers that I’m making up as I type this. They may or may not match anything that Yongnuo has designated.

Mode 1: receive for flash. Selected by having a live flash unit in the hotshoe of the trigger. It will fire the flash through the main (center) pin of the hotshoe when it receives the appropriate burst of RF energy from another trigger.

Mode 2: transmit for flash. Selected by putting the trigger into a camera hotshoe. Sends a burst of RF energy. Any listening trigger (mode 1 above) will then respond.

Mode 3: receive for remote release. Selected by having a cable plugged into the trigger which hopefully is then plugged into the camera.

Mode 4: transmit for remote release. Selected by having nothing attached to the trigger and simply pressing the big round button.

Right. And based on what I've read elsewhere, it impossible to use mode 4 (remote release) with the unit on a camera, because as soon as it detects that it's on a hot shoe, it defaults to mode 1, disabling all other modes.

I had a test this morning.
2 TXs. On a d750 and d500. and one 622N with a flash.
It looks like it worked syncing the 2 cameras and the flash.
Though I tried going into HSS territory and it locked up my D500.

I could try this again with the 622TX on my D750 hotshoe,
and the TX *not* on my D500 hotshoe.

but I'l have to wait to get over the "TX killed my D500" hysteria that ensued with it on my hotshoe. :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back