What's new

Yosemite: 4 Snapshots of Mammoth Peak

HikinMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
1,438
Reaction score
147
Location
Atwater, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Spent the early morning photographing Mammoth Peak. I actually spent the whole day there. Here's some of my favorites from the morning shoot...

yosemite-060612-05-2x3.jpg


yosemite-060612-06.jpg


yosemite-060612-13.jpg


yosemite-060612-15.jpg
 
Really?
 
I like the last one best because it introduces a bit of warm color with the cool. I would personally exploit that more with a bit of saturation boost, but that's just me.

On overall composition, the horizon in the middle is a little off-putting. Seeing what's available in shot #3, I'd say include about 2/3rds foreground/below horizon and 1/3rd background/above horizon, just enough to include the top of the mountain and give it a little sky headroom.

And as long as I'm wishing, I wish there was something more in a foreground element, like a canoe or something. I really hate to say stuff like that, because I'd prefer to just judge the merits of the photo as presented, rather than try to invent a new one that wasn't shot, but that's what's crossing my mind on this when I look at it.
 
I like the last one best because it introduces a bit of warm color with the cool. I would personally exploit that more with a bit of saturation boost, but that's just me.

On overall composition, the horizon in the middle is a little off-putting. Seeing what's available in shot #3, I'd say include about 2/3rds foreground/below horizon and 1/3rd background/above horizon, just enough to include the top of the mountain and give it a little sky headroom.

And as long as I'm wishing, I wish there was something more in a foreground element, like a canoe or something. I really hate to say stuff like that, because I'd prefer to just judge the merits of the photo as presented, rather than try to invent a new one that wasn't shot, but that's what's crossing my mind on this when I look at it.

Thank you for well-grounded critique Buckster! I tried to include some type of foreground element on most of the photos I posted. Having a canoe or some man-made element would probably be frowned upon from the Park Rangers. ;)
 
My favorite from the set is #3. I like the added foreground elements and the glow on the far peak. The centering seems OK to me given the symmetry of the reflections.
 
My favorite from the set is #3. I like the added foreground elements and the glow on the far peak. The centering seems OK to me given the symmetry of the reflections.

Thanks!
 
Number 3 with less sky (crop it out some) so that the foreground weight is accented. I like the lighting of the mountain in number 4 - optimal for me would have been 3 with the crop that I mention plus the light of number 4. It's very serene, would have loved to have been there!
 
I love number 3,defo my favourite.

Nice pictures!!

Wish I had that kind of scenery here!!

Regards
Simon
 
Those are beautiful...I am heading there in a couple months...I will definitely seek this place out!
 
Reported for posting too nice of a photo in "snapshot" category.

I love the last one.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom