img_2017.jpg

img_2008_1b.jpg

img_1957.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

this one is my fav, what do you think?
IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2166b.jpg

I do need our comments and critiques on how to do better in my next concert shots (in two months!!!)

oh oh oh number 10 is stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that the others are bad

BTW what other post???

You cannot say we did not like your other post!
I DID!
Each and every one of the other photos, too!
And each and everyone of these, again!!!
Mostly so 7, the one above your own favourite: his smile is so infectious!!!
Can't you come over and take all such good photos of OUR (my choir's) next concert on 25 November? (For free, I'm afraid!) ;)

10 is incredible. The first three are typical and could use better framing, filling the photo with musicians rather than trying to show the entire orchestra. The tree is unnecessary. The personal shots look as if they are sitting in a coffee shop. The 'wedding singer' type shots are- ok, and 9 is pretty good. These shots are what you need more of while they are performing. Musicians and the emotion in their faces. Motion, bows cheeks, show them performing. I really like the last one. If you can access the concert from areas that the audience can't, showing what the performers see and the emotion (I stress that), you'll have some really great shots.

Lostprophet: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59596

Abraxas: thank you! this is what I needed! I have an access on stage and I took many shots from there. but the problem is that there was scenic light and it was pretty low. I used ISO 1600 and used Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 APO DG, so some of the close ups are blurry because choir was.... moving :)

Do you think that pictures showing emotions, siging people or even crying people ... when they are not perfect technically (simpluy - they are soft but not blurred) are acceptable? I found many pics of the very same choir at http://www.rubik.pl and they are soft as well. That pics were taken by the pros...

Abraxas: do you think, this one is a good concert shot:
IMG_2141b.jpg
??

mentos_007 said:
Abraxas: do you think, this one is a good concert shot:
??

I think it is a very good shot- not excellent. If you were up and to the left it would have helped the composition. Maybe taken care of the light on the guy's head. Maybe not.

By seeing yourself as a part of the performance (visual recording) we can better understand our role and how to function. Having stage access, you are definately part of the show.

I'm not sure if you were discovering your access as the show went on, or were shy (evidence, curtains obscuring portions of some of the shots). But some pre-show staging may be necessary. Find your spots and visualize the performance. If something can be slightly arranged without disruption, do it before the show (like scootching a curtain over an inch or so). Maybe finding a clear and secure place to stand/ where the lighting will be best. If you can be there while lights are being tested to spot your positions I would think it an advantage.

I think music is the predictable of our natural actions in groups. If you are into the music while shooting you will be able to pick the spots where the performers are in whole or part in equilibrium, holding a note or at a pause. I think of this when shooting flowers on a breezy day. There is a slight pause in position before the flower bends again. Knowing the music (are you familiar with it?) puts you in a better place for catching the pause. Catching the moments, and with practice the blur will go away- then you can soften according to choice rather than circumstance. You are part of the performance.

People's actions/reactions/emotions is what music is all about. People laughing, crying, jumping, sitting, listening intently and everything in between, everything you can't see listening is what you want to capture. And do it in a way that portrays your part of the music. What the performers see, what the audience sees, what the audience looks like the very second before they start to applaud.

Interesting but not technically correct is just what it is, interesting but not technically correct. Just like music. Eventually, through practice interesting becomes technically correct. Interesting is very good (acceptable)- Interesting and technically correct is excellence.

You're doing well, keep at it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back