You guys probably get these kind of threads all the time...

Stussy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
But I need some serious help. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section of the forum so excuse me if I'm in the wrong.

Well, the thing is I want to buy a DSLR. I'm no camera expert, I don't have a degree in photography and the closest I've come to the hobby is taking pictures with my phone/digicam.

Basically I want to move up and take pictures that are of better quality than the crap I usually take. The problem I have with my digital camera is that the pictures come out too dark when I'm taking pictures whilst clubbing or indoors.

For example this picture. There's way too much 'noise' (I think that's what you photo guys call it) and not enough detail.

n506382240_65341_8618.jpg

95ufih.jpg

I want to be able to take photos like these.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2105/200/4/514163914/n514163914_1315400_4084.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._105720472240_506382240_1863648_1933895_n.jpg

The best one which seems to be in my budget is the Canon 500D with an 18-55m IS Lense. I know the bundled lense isn't top but remember I just want it for general picture taking for a quality upgrade to what my camera currently dishes out. Would the 500D with 18-55m lense, be able to take pictures like these? Or are there any competitors around the £579 price range?

Sorry if this post has been a bore but I've been meaning to get one for months and I've come to a conclusion to get one for the New Year, please help.

Last edited:
You're not allowed to post images that aren't yours, because of copyright laws, but you can link to them.

The 500D and that lens is a good start but I think either the Nikon D5000 or D90 would work better in clubs and indoors because they both have better low-light ISO performance.

The 500D with the standard lens is perfectly capable of taking shots like that. I still have my 350D (the 500D's ancestor), though it's rarely used these days, but up until April I used it for pretty much everything I did. Try looking at my flickr pages from around 13/14 and further back to see what that could do. Admittedly, many of those images use the much better 17-55 f2.8 IS lens, but you can see what the body itself is capable of and upgrade the lens later, though bear in mind that up front, you will be the limiting factor whilst you learn, not the lens or body.

I bought my Nikon D3000 for $500 with an SD card, case and lens and I love it. But if you have a bigger budget the D90 is really nice.

Great, that's just what I wanted to hear. All the reviews make it seem as though the kit lense is extremely poor but I'm just a beginner and I only want it for general usage. Only decision now is...

D5000 + 18-55m VR Lens for £519

OR

500D + 18-55m IS Lens for £579

The 500D has 1080 HD functions but I couldn't care less about that, 720 is just fine. Just want the better option for good quality images.

Both of those cameras would give you higher quality images than a P&S digital, with less shutter lag between pressing the shutter release and actually making the exposure than one gets from a P&S.

The Nikon D5000 will accept basically any Nikon F-mount lens made from 1959 to 2009,with no modification to the lens or camera needed. That would allow you to buy used manual focus lenses from pawn shops, thrift stores, and classified ads for often as little as 10 pounds; some of the older 135mm 2.8 manual focus telephotos made by Asanuma, Vivitar, or Spiratone can be had second hand for less than the price of a nice lunch for one at a sit-down restaurant--great for experimenting, trying your hand at macro,etc.

The small Nikons D40,D40x,D60,D3000,D5000 will accept ANY accessory in F-mount, autofocus or not. As well as inexpensive lens reversing rings, cheap extension tubes, etc. If you're on a budget, the small Nikons are very handy as experimenter's cameras. Manual focusing lenses will not give light metering automatically, but there are now available at low,low prices.

The Canon probably has the edge in video clip quality, and it is also nice,small,light,and affordable. The one that feels better in your hand is the one you ought to buy,either Nikon or Canon, unless you have a strong desire to be tied into one system or the other for 'future needs' shall we say.

Since you are choosing between two lines (Canon and Nikon) which are excellent and offer all the variety of lenses, lighting, software etc. you could want, may I suggest you go to a store and handle the models you are considering in both lines? It may be a bigger factor than most people realize. I chose one of the above based on the much more comfortable feel and fit in my hand of one of them. Both Canon and Nikon follow a design pattern in their entry and midlevel models which seems to be pretty consistent. Photography is a lot more fun if you enjoy the very act of holding your camera.

Hi, i think i may be able to help a little!

Im 16, im guessing you're around this age too? Sorry if im wrong! haha

I just got the Canon 500D + 18-55mm lens. I have actually just bought the 55-250mm lens as well as the 50mm f/1.8 II.

The kit lens is more than enough! for what you want, i would suggest the kit lens for greater flexibility, however, if you thing you can cope, the 50mm f/1.9 II has incredible image quality and costs like £80.

So you could either get

Canon 500D + 18-55mm

OR

Canon 500D + 50mm f/1.8 II

ORR

You could get 1 of the nikons, however i am delighted with the Canon 500D and have taken some super photos with it :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back