you have mail - pigeon post

timethief

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.x5.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would appreciate some of your opinions.
I was really lucky with this shot. But it was worth the wait for me.

pigeonpost.jpg

Two things I like and three I don't. I think the contrast is good for black and white, a good range of tones, I like the subject matter, it is interesting. I don't really like the vignetting, it is too abrupt, maybe if it faded to the darker much more gradually...I would rather the second bird were also in focus, which would require a faster shutter speed, not always possible especially if you're getting lucky in catching a shot, but it would be awesome if it were in focus. Lastly, it would be more interesting composition wise if the pole were not perfectly centered, I can't decide if I'd like it better if it were to the right, so that the left bird is flying into the frame, or if it were on the left, so the right bird was looking into the frame. Probably with the wires on the left it would be better with the pole on the right, so more is filling the frame.

I like it but the only problem i have is the black part is just to much for me.

Two things I like and three I don't. I think the contrast is good for black and white, a good range of tones, I like the subject matter, it is interesting.
Thanks.

I don't really like the vignetting, it is too abrupt, maybe if it faded to the darker much more gradually...
I tried the faded away vignetting as well. I thought maybe a darker one would be better because it gives it a binocular view. That's why i thought of using vignetting in the first place.

I would rather the second bird were also in focus, which would require a faster shutter speed, not always possible especially if you're getting lucky in catching a shot, but it would be awesome if it were in focus.
I wasn't really expecting another bird to fly into the shut. SO i couldn't really adjust to it. But i think the flying bird out of focus gives the picture a sense of motion, a sense of urgency to deliver message. I never thought of that bird in focus until you mentioned it, cause i think it enhanced the composition. Thanks for helping me see that though..

Lastly, it would be more interesting composition wise if the pole were not perfectly centered, I can't decide if I'd like it better if it were to the right, so that the left bird is flying into the frame, or if it were on the left, so the right bird was looking into the frame. Probably with the wires on the left it would be better with the pole on the right, so more is filling the frame.
Next time I will ask the birds to pose in different angels so that i can have all possible shots.:wink:

The pole was not fully centered i didn't like it that way. There was a lot of empty space in the frame. So decided to crop out some bits and center it.

Thank you very much for your views Eldrich.

Most reactions

Back