What's new

You know when you have one of those days...

bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Oct 6, 2008
Messages
4,821
Reaction score
286
Location
Montreal
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was walking with a photo friend taking shots in Old Montreal (I posted another thread here with an image from the start of our walk). After a few hours, we were losing inspiration, but there kept being something a little further down that peeked our interest.

So after 5 hours of walking, we ended up near one of the bigger bridges in Montreal, the Jacques-Cartier, at sunset. The first side we saw was dull and boring, grey, flat light.

So we walked to the other side and got this (20 secs of processing here, the rainbow just happened to show for a few seconds... I have pics of it, my friend doesnt lol)

Thoughts and CC are welcome


4756550270_93c294a041_b.jpg
 
This is great! I've had one of those days too. Nice composition.
 
Thanks Johnny
 
The best part of this thread and I bet your walk, is having a friend along who has the same interests. PRICELESS!

I think that fellow forum members who have been habitating this forum generally become more critical of their own work. Which can lead to becoming more picky about the location/subject they are working with. Sometimes we miss the trees for the forest and will miss opportunities right under our noses. We are looking for the "HomeRun" shot with every shot we take.

Your image is okay. The wires are distracting, and I think that you could crop the bottom of the image, entirely taking the river out of the image. The far shore line is half silhouette and half not...it needs some treatment. I would also work on the sky, although I cannot specifically say how. Just move sliders around until it pops some.


I give you a lot of credit for not giving up on the night as you spent all that time walking.
One of your walks will result in the image we are all striving for!!!
 
Very good points Pierre, thanks for taking the time.

My friend did PS out the wires in his image, and the image is nicer for it. I guess you can call it lazyness. I like the image and the colour I took, but don't feel that removing the wires would make this a sure winner, so I fall into my lazyness and just move on to the next hahaha.

I do have this image flagged for future processing though (part of my workflow, some are worked on now, others are flagged for later work). I do this when I have some downtime and can spend more time on non-urgent or client related images. I'll definately take your thoughts into consideration when working on it some more. There are parts of it that I dont like.

I do have 3 exposures that I could try working into an HDR, which might solve the odd looking shoreline. Hmmm... :)

Thanks again for the comments :D
 
Nice, good perspective. I agree with cropping some off the bottom instead of trying to salvage it. I would consider trying to clone out the wires but it would be tough...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom