Young, irrational, and in Love.

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some would argue that any form of love is irrational especially when you are young, but it feels so good right?

The topic title simply reflects my personal, quiet observation of the young couple in love, it's not a title for the image itself. No need to pay it too much attention. It's just what they are; young, irrational and in love, and something most of us can likely relate to. I still think their love is beautiful though.
1454927_10202370485849749_1576815603_n_zpsdbf3e71e.jpg

Last edited:
Why are they "irrational?" Does one of them have the flu or something? Is there currently a sniper on the roof shooting at them and they are choosing to kiss instead of take cover?
And if so, what in the image tells me that?

Or are you just concerned that the man is not using the park bench in it's designer-intended, forward-facing orientation? Because I certainly am. That's some irresponsible stuff right there. He could pull a muscle.

Why are they "irrational?" Does one of them have the flu or something? Is there currently a sniper on the roof shooting at them and they are choosing to kiss instead of take cover?
And if so, what in the image tells me that?

Or are you just concerned that the man is not using the park bench in it's designer-intended, forward-facing orientation? Because I certainly am. That's some irresponsible stuff right there. He could pull a muscle.
I view a lot of young love as very irrational. It's more of a quiet personal perception of mine of the couple who I know very closely than anything else. But thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Okay, so the reason you wrote that is because John and Sally in this particular photo you happen to know have an irrational relationship. Great, in that case, if that's the notion you want to communicate (as your title implies), then I think it would be a much much stronger image if you told that story visually in your image. What is a photo you could take of them that screams "irrational love!" at the viewer visually, without having to explicitly tell them that?

An example off the top of my head from "irrational" couples I have known: An image of two people insisting on holding hands at the dinner table in such a way that one of them has to use their left hand to hold the fork.
Or getting stuck in a revolving door because they both tried to be cute and jam themselves into the same section together.

Those would be really cool, narrative, unique photos that not only match the title, but would be far more memorable than "generic couple kissing number 567." Generic couples kissing are fine if you're shooting them to get a paycheck, because portraiture pays the best, but artistically, not so exciting. Demonstrating the irrationality clearly and concisely would be a whole different ballgame though.

As junior high English teachers everywhere say, "Show don't tell."

Okay, so the reason you wrote that is because John and Sally in this particular photo you happen to know have an irrational relationship. Great, in that case, if that's the notion you want to communicate (as your title implies), then I think it would be a much much stronger image if you told that story visually in your image. What is a photo you could take of them that screams "irrational love!" at the viewer visually, without having to explicitly tell them that?

An example off the top of my head from "irrational" couples I have known: An image of two people insisting on holding hands at the dinner table in such a way that one of them has to use their left hand to hold the fork.
Or getting stuck in a revolving door because they both tried to be cute and jam themselves into the same section together.

Those would be really cool, narrative, unique photos that not only match the title, but would be far more memorable than "generic couple kissing number 567." Generic couples kissing are fine if you're shooting them to get a paycheck, because portraiture pays the best, but artistically, not so exciting. Demonstrating the irrationality clearly and concisely would be a whole different ballgame though.
Like I said, the topic title reflects my view of the couple's young love. It's not the title of the photo, and I didn't say it was some exciting artistic masterpiece.
Those sound like really interesting ideas and funny situations for conceptual shots. For me though the topic reflects my quiet observation of the young couple, and I know for a fact that one of the two would take it very personally if I were to voice my honest opinion of this, so asking them to pose for something like that is out of the question. To be honest this is how I view most young couples. It was purely my opinion after observing this couple's relationship. Thanks for sharing your perspective though. If I may point out, you've only given critique on the title of the topic.

As junior high English teachers everywhere say, "Show don't tell."
Not sure why you seem to be implying that I am missing some fundamental junior high education when we simply have different views of what this photo should be.

Last edited:
You sound a little jaded, Dan! :heart:

(I do get what you are saying, though.)

It's a cute shot of a young couple in :heart:

:heart:jenko:heart:

Why are they "irrational?" Does one of them have the flu or something? Is there currently a sniper on the roof shooting at them and they are choosing to kiss instead of take cover? And if so, what in the image tells me that? Or are you just concerned that the man is not using the park bench in it's designer-intended, forward-facing orientation? Because I certainly am. That's some irresponsible stuff right there. He could pull a muscle.
I think he was just playing off of the trope that young love is spontaneous and fleeting. Haven't you ever seen a coming-of-age movie, or any movie where a young person "finds" themselves? *whispers* We're so unpredictable. *whispers*

One moment we might be making out and then the next I slap you because I ain't no skank.

I think y'all are looking way too deeply in this. I think it's just a title used to add more interest so the thread doesn't get lost among the "Portraits! Lol" threads.

Edit: or not, I just read hai response. It's a nice photo anyways so w/e

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind the irrational brand of love rather than the tedium i deal with now.

I wouldn't mind the irrational brand of love rather than the tedium i deal with now.

I'll buy you flowers before running over you with my car if that's what you're into.

I view a lot of young love as very irrational. It's more of a quiet personal perception of mine of the couple who I know very closely than anything else.

Like it or not, a member's thread title and/or photo caption gets reviewed right along with the photo. Sometimes they help, sometimes not.

I'm an English teacher and I never say, 'Show, don't tell." But I also don't teach middle school.

In a very technical sense, all love is irrational. It's an emotion not governed by reason, or in other words, irrational. Lacking reason (as in 'logical thought process' not as in 'cause'.) In fact, I once read a study that shows that the brain of a person newly in love is nearly identical to the brain of someone who just took drugs - heroin, if I am remembering correctly.

At any rate, a photographer's feeling when he takes the picture, the viewers' feeling or interpretation when we look at the picture...these are all going to be different and some may match the title while others won't.

What matters to me is that it's a picture clearly intended to convey an emotion, so I ask myself, "Does it?" Yes. I don't really give a hoot about the title.

Is there such thing as rational love? I think some people just get lucky because they happen to fall in love with the right person, that's all. But it does not make their love more rational.

Last edited:
What matters to me is that it's a picture clearly intended to convey an emotion, so I ask myself, "Does it?" Yes.

IMO it does not.

Most reactions

Back