Your camera is better than Ansel Adams'

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Peeb, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Derrel,

That is my favorite quote when it comes to sheer speculation.

No one knows if modern post processing would have been a benefit or disaster to any past artist. But it is safe to say, they new the medium they worked in very well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it’s safe to say these sort of conversations happen in every sport/aspect of life.
    Is what we have now better and what would the old timers been able to do with it.
    As I have said digital allows me to push the limits of my ability.
    Much the same as sailing. I hold RYA yacht masters, VHF/DSc radio and other sailing qls. But had I had to learn and be acumplished in the old communications eg morse code, signal flags, I would not have got my qls.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Katomi,

You are correct, the question of new technology use by old masters will be an ever present speculation.

I enjoy the work of others and am the first to admit digital enhancement creates great photos, however my bias towards "as shot" limits what I wish to do. I enjoy tinkering in the dark room, rather than sitting in front of a computer screen.

However, whether you are a film fan or a post processing addict, I believe to OPs point was, learn how to use what you have before you move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Original katomi

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agree my policy before upgrading is that I will use what I have until I cant do what I want to do or find a way round the limitation.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I have always felt that about 16 Angels could dance on the head of the average sewing pin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    In the early days of the digital SLR era each new generation of cameras was significantly better than the one prior, but since about 2009 new models are just a little bit better than the previous generation.

7. Original katomi

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Derrel, hiya. I know what you are saying, there used to be huge leaps in camera advances now it seems to be tweaks or one up on rival companies. The canon 90d can take 10fps. I rem the old film motor drivers, get much beyond 3fps and they would tear the film to shreads. Not the a role of 36 exp would last long at that rate.

8. RVT1K

RVT1K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Way back when I got my first DSLR, I took a beginner's class for digital photography and the instructor said something that always stuck with me....

"I can teach you how to use your camera but I can't teach you to be a photographer".

I see lots and lots of examples of where someone used their camera properly but still managed to take a bad and/or uninteresting photo. Having a better camera will not change that.

9. Original katomi

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You see that in all walks of life.
    Gives me a real laugh when the kid with the cheap .....whatever.... does a better job than the loud mouth boasting that they have the latest and best.
    I was once the person fishing with the old rod that I had since I was 5 and a mix of old naff hooks etc. If I caught something I was pleased.
    Seen the same in the photography world, I did the point and shoot, the bridge camera. The canon 1100d basic entry level, seen the loud mouth in the pub after a shoot, placing his latest ff canon on the table in the pub amoungst the drinks with no lens or body cap.
    He tried the (when you get a real camera) speak on me.... I asked if he was going to buy it for me..... suddenly it got very quiet.... and no he never did
    Sometimes you have to /see/ the image and then use what kit you have to try and capture it

10. Michael Smith 12

Michael Smith 12 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is the truth. Even technically speaking, camera lenses, lighting and composition is going to play a bigger role in your photo than the camera body.
    Generally speaking, the only thing that matters is your years of expertise, practice and sweat that you put into learning and perfecting your art.

11. star camera company

star camera company TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That’s a really good overview, and truthful. There is only ONE way to capture the Perfect image, and that’s with a Stereo Realist, slide film and a viewer. I guarantee if you took the same image with every camera ever made (2D) and then took that image in 3D........it’s a whole different and so much more visually captivating sensation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pocketshaver

pocketshaver TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Hasn't anyone ever thought of this,

Ansel Adams made both good and bad photos, but he didn't need a 3,000 dollar digital camera to do so.