Your Daily Advice

Names don't make you. Otherwise Karen Horney...

"Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all."
-St. Augustine

Heavy metals in your paint doesn't mean you'll sink faster. Just means you'll die faster.

When you come to a fork in the road, and neither looks very promising. Backlog and take that side path that you did consider before.

Parties are fun, and sex can be fun. Not everything should be combined because it might be better.

A lite candle can do wonders for nerves.

You can adjust your fingering when playing a out-of-tune string, just like how you can adjust your actions when living a out-of-tune life.

It is all about glitter. If you need to fill space on a poster, glitter. If you need to accent a lamp, glitter. If you need to fend of a vicious old lady, glitter.

"Ignorance is Bliss" from a Thomas Gray poem; seems somewhat appropriate in this instance

"Ignorance is Bliss" from a Thomas Gray poem; seems somewhat appropriate in this instance

My best daily advice in this instance:

"How can I help you if you won't even help yourselves?" --Mork, from the Mork & Mindy show
Okay, he was talking to the eggs, but still...

^^^ It sure would be nice to use that excuse with my toddler. But unfortunately compassion and love never come with conditions.

^^^ It sure would be nice to use that excuse with my toddler. But unfortunately compassion and love never come with conditions.

:scratch: True enough. But "help" does. I can be unconditionally compassionate and loving and still utterly unable to HELP someone who won't accept help.

You can adjust your fingering when playing a out-of-tune string, just like how you can adjust your actions when living a out-of-tune life.

Some people should occasionally read their own posts.
-Me

Some people should occasionally read their own posts.
-Me

Touche'. may be time for a whole new set of strings

:scratch: True enough. But "help" does. I can be unconditionally compassionate and loving and still utterly unable to HELP someone who won't accept help.

You can accept help without being able to help yourself, and you can help others who are unable to help themselves. My kid is a perfect example. Because he has some developmental and cognitive disabilities, it's pretty impossible for him to follow directions. He can't "help me help him" in any way to get ready for the day, even though he might want to go to the park, to school, or whatever. Yeah. It's frustrating, but I still am *able* to help him get dressed and stay focused, even if he is unable to really "do his part".

We all have our shortcomings, and just because we assume someone is capable of doing something doesn't mean that they are. I hear this "I can't help you unless you help yourself" often by organizations which genuinely want to help the homeless. They use this to place the blame of their limited resources onto the people they are trying to help, as a means to justify not being able to help everyone - and often times they truly can't. But if resources were infinite, wouldn't these organizations not to house and feed everyone no matter how futile the effort of rehabilitating a good portion into so-called 'productive' members of society? I'd like to hope so.

Of course sometimes help does more harm than good, but I think that's a different issue than not being able to help someone - in fact, I'd say such approaches are not "helping" at all.

But so long as you love someone, you can always help them - even if their is no chance that that person will ever be able to help themselves.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back