Your favourite photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I . . . I . . .

. . .

This is only day 3 or so of me being a member hear, so I didn't have anyone in mind. I started looking at people's suggestions, though . . .

Matt's site and previous posts took my breath away. After that I was sort of browsing in a state of shock. This forum is full of . . . of . . . I don't know, but it must be illegal . . .

:hail::hail::hail: . . . master . . . I'm not worthy . . .

There are a great many talented photogs that post on TPF… But I would have to say that the person that consistently posts the most intriguing photos is Tuna. I really dig his work.

JamesD said:
Of other photographers, I'd have to say my favorite is Ansel Adams--but only because of one specific photograph of his which I absolutely love: Trailer Camp Children. When I first saw this image in a book of his photographs, I stopped and stared for a long time... it fascinated me, and still does. If I could just get a print... :meh:

My favorite, too. I attended one of his workshops in the 1960's and spent the better part of a week shooting and printing with him. He was a true genius in the dark room. It wasn't hard to make compositions as good as his but it was impossible to make prints as good his. He had a gift for it. He tried to teach it in his workshops but it really was a gift. He could teach the techniques but our work never produced what his work did.

Another favorite of mine was an old timer named Arnold Newman. Newman was best known for very creative portraits of famous people although he did a lot of interesting work. Just like it was impossible to duplicate Adams' prints, it was impossible to duplicate Newman's creative eye for composition.

fmw said:
My favorite, too. I attended one of his workshops in the 1960's and spent the better part of a week shooting and printing with him. He was a true genius in the dark room. It wasn't hard to make compositions as good as his but it was impossible to make prints as good his. He had a gift for it. He tried to teach it in his workshops but it really was a gift. He could teach the techniques but our work never produced what his work did.

Another favorite of mine was an old timer named Arnold Newman. Newman was best known for very creative portraits of famous people although he did a lot of interesting work. Just like it was impossible to duplicate Adams' prints, it was impossible to duplicate Newman's creative eye for composition.
How true. I saw an exhibition of his work about 2 years back, and really...I don't think I appreciated what all the fuss was about until I stood there in front of his prints. They glittered. They glowed. I think I had my mouth open and my head tilted from side to side most of the time. :lol: I left that exhibit determined to be a better darkroom printer, but really....even my best print on a great day would look like a work print next to anything he did. :)

My favorite has been my favorite since I saw his prints over 50 years ago. Yup, Ansel Adams.

I have only seen one or two other photographers who have come close.

I can tell you of a photographer that I admire. His name is Jimmy Chin. It is not necessarily his photographs that I admire. But it's his philosophy about photography. He states that photography is more than just taking a picture. He has no interest in a photography trip unless the stakes are high. When you see Jimmy hanging from a 30 foot rope from a mountainside. You know what he's talking about. That's the unique feeling I have during lightning photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back