What's new

Your first ever photo and present day

This post has caused me to really think about whether I've gotten better in the 40 years I've been at it. I think the answer is yes, which should be encouraging to anyone starting out,. I'll post pictures that were made approx 40 years ago vs. pictures of similar type taken this year. I think I've improved don't you ? The first one is a picture of my oldest daughter then (1972) and now

LianedollLianechase_zps84668f37.jpg
KacyFrankiewagons_zpsdbb7141e.jpg

roseandredleaves_zps65fb0f1a.jpg

vernandjohn_zps64ad67ac.jpg
 
Last edited:
I love past and present I know I have no technical knowledge but artistically I love them spesh your daughter, I am a sucker for vintage photography , thank you
 
First post....
contest-1.jpg


Last flower post....
8219609050_394de7b3b5.jpg
 
mishele said:
First post....

Last flower post....

Thanks mishele

The second pic I love, very Monet esk , thank you for sharing
 
OK. I found a few snapshots. These were taken about 1978 or 1979 - middle of a bright, sunny day in an open courtyard. Kodak Tri-X, Minolta SRT201 and a 50mm, maybe a Vivitar 200mm for the "closeups." Printed on Kodak paper, though I have no idea which one. These seem to have a slight greenish tint, I guess from the scanner software; the originals do not have it.


cmw3_srt201_windfall1 by cmwrenn3, on Flickr


cmw3_srt201_windfall4 by cmwrenn3, on Flickr


cmw3_srt201_windfall5 by cmwrenn3, on Flickr
 
Some of you apparently have better storage systems than I do. I actually still have negatives from about 35 years ago when I first bought an SLR, but they're in a box somewhere and I haven't seen them in quite a while. The oldest I can come up with is this one, which I took in about 1990-91 on TMax 400 and scanned in 1997 when I had just bought a scanner and was just learning. I still have a darkroom print of this that looks better than the scanned processed image.


wintersun.jpg
 
I still have a darkroom print of this that looks better than the scanned processed image.


wintersun.jpg

If this is the scanned processed image, it's nothing to sneeze at. In fact, I think it's great.
 
invisible said:
If this is the scanned processed image, it's nothing to sneeze at. In fact, I think it's great.

Me too thanks everyone that is taking part in this thread
 
If this is the scanned processed image, it's nothing to sneeze at. In fact, I think it's great.

Thanks!

The scan was too light and too low in contrast. Either I hadn't learned to use curves in the scanner software, or its capability was very limited at that time; I just don't remember. At any rate, as a consequence I had to do a lot of manipulation in curves in PS to get it where I wanted it, and ended up with a sort of "comb" histogram where there are gaps and some of the transitions are a little abrupt. The print had better tonal rendition and highlight detail.

I still have a film scanner that I bought in 2004 and used for a few years, but don't know if I can get a driver for it, and then of course I'd have to find the negative :lmao: - there's just something about having moved four times in about seven years that's not conducive to finding old stuff easily.
 
^^^Tell me why I should.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom