Your House Before

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A lot of the lumber used in homes comes from Sierra-Pacific mills, like the one in my home town.

Shot one late afternoon in November with Nikon D810, Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm at 135mm, f/8, 1/40sec., ISO 400 and developed in Adobe Lightroom.

sp-mill-qcy1411-27-x1200.jpg

I like the detail in the logs in the background, those downward leading lines, that I assume are sawblade marks ... but it seems like the highlights in the vehicle and the closer tier of logs is a bit blown. You might even crop just the back tier of logs, with the diagonal stair-step of the front tier. Or, if you can reshoot, frame just that portion. Better yet, this might even be better as simply as a study of just the logs, without the vehicle.

At any rate, nice work!

bwahhh. l like the vehicle. Machinery doing things is neat. you could make a artistic shot of some logs, but adding the vehicle you can make a artistic shot of some logs but add the interest of something actually doing something......

I like the detail in the logs in the background, those downward leading lines, that I assume are sawblade marks ... but it seems like the highlights in the vehicle and the closer tier of logs is a bit blown. You might even crop just the back tier of logs, with the diagonal stair-step of the front tier. Or, if you can reshoot, frame just that portion. Better yet, this might even be better as simply as a study of just the logs, without the vehicle.

At any rate, nice work!
You're right about the blown-out loader. I really need to be more patient and let my pictures set for a few hours before calling them done. I corrected it to my satisfaction below, but the scene really deserves a re-visit. The original picture, one of over a dozen, was hand-held. Although it's not bad for 1/40th sec. at 135mm, I should have been using a tripod. I think this was my first day with the D810 and I was anxious to take it for a spin. In my excitement, I left without my tripod. :(

sp-mill-qcy1411-27-x1200a.jpg

Oh yeah, those "downward leading lines" are the result of some water/chemical mixture they sprinkle on log decks to help loosen the bark and protect the logs from rot or infestation. Whatever it is, it makes this part of town the stinkiest place to be.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back