• a combination of MF primes and zooms

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dallmeyer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm interested to know which lenses we use here.

Also..
What is your oldest lens that you use?
Which is your favorite lens - shorter or equal to 200mm? (that you use/have used).
Which is your favorite lens - longer than 200mm? (that you use/have used).

Last edited:
Tokina 12-24 f4
Nikon 24-70 f2.8
G < Favorite!
Nikon 35mm f1.8G
Nikon 85mm f1.8
D < depending on context, this is my oldest lens.

Now that i have my new 24-70, I don't really use my primes as much as i could.

Next will prolly be a Nikon 70-300 VR, Nikon 80-200 f2.8D or a Sigma 70-200 f2.8. Unless i can convince myself to fork out about 2k for the Nikon 70-200 VR/VRII!

I'm not sure what the validity of this poll is worth. I would guess that most people that have multiple lenses have a variety of your "combinations". So you have an older lens made in the 1920's, and have a short, medium and long telephoto. Shall we bring out the bubbly? I have primes and zooms, they will all AF, but they will also MF. I'm trying to figure out your point, but there doesn't seem to be one. Please enlighten me.

I'm interested to know which lenses we use here.

Also..
What is your oldest lens that you use?
Which is your favorite lens - shorter or equal to 200mm? (that you use/have used).
Which is your favorite lens - longer than 200mm? (that you use/have used).

I use a mix of AF and manual focus primes and zooms. I've loaned out sort of permanently, to my sister-in-law, my oldest lenses, or otherwise disposed of most really old lenses from the early 1960's to early 1970's. I still have some Nikon lenses from the early 1970's and early 1980's that I use regularly on Nikon and or Canon d-slrs. My favorite lens of 200mm or less would be the Nikon 105mm f/2 Defocus Control,and of 300mm or longer it would be the 300/2.8 AF-S Mark II with lightweight magnesium barrel.

The oldest lens I actually use would probably be about a 1965 or '66 Asahai Super-Takumar 135mm f/3.5.

Outside of one or two macro lenses, does Canon even make MF lenses anymore?

That 1.8/85 seems a good performer 5.6-8 with nice color Boomer. You maybe prefer the convenience of the 24-70? What's the quality like at 70mm on the G?

Tokina 12-24 f4
Nikon 24-70 f2.8G < Favorite!
Nikon 35mm f1.8G
Nikon 85mm f1.8D < depending on context, this is my oldest lens.

Now that i have my new 24-70, I don't really use my primes as much as i could.

Next will prolly be a Nikon 70-300 VR, Nikon 80-200 f2.8D or a Sigma 70-200 f2.8. Unless i can convince myself to fork out about 2k for the Nikon 70-200 VR/VRII!

My favorite lens of 200mm or less would be the Nikon 105mm f/2 Defocus Control,and of 300mm or longer it would be the 300/2.8 AF-S Mark II with lightweight magnesium barrel.

The oldest lens I actually use would probably be about a 1965 or '66 Asahai Super-Takumar 135mm f/3.5.

The Super Tak 3.5/135 is a real classic! Your Nikon 105 sounds interesting also. Do you have any example pics using it?

EDIT: Well I just watched a video about the 2/105 DC on youtube wow! quite an amazing optic!

Last edited:
That 1.8/85 seems a good performer 5.6-8 with nice color Boomer. You maybe prefer the convenience of the 24-70? What's the quality like at 70mm on the G?

Yes, it's the convenience for sure. But the 24-70 is giant, so its size can be an inconvenience sometimes too.

It honestly seems to have great IQ at all focal lengths at whether i shoot wide open or stopped down. Here is one of my pics with the 24-70 @ 70mm shot wide open at f2.8 :)

How about MF primes, and AF primes and zooms. ;)

I chose the last option because it was the closest I guess. I have a 50mm f/1.8 and 300 f/2.8 mf primes I still use. Rest are AF primes and zooms. Although we just got a replacement for the 50 f/1.8 mf. A new 50mm f/1.4 AF. :D Getting lazy I guess. :p

Yes, it's the convenience for sure. But the 24-70 is giant, so its size can be an inconvenience sometimes too.

It honestly seems to have great IQ at all focal lengths at whether i shoot wide open or stopped down. Here is one of my pics with the 24-70 @ 70mm shot wide open at f2.8 :)

That's a good ''shot'' boomer! The optical look reminds me very much of the Zeiss Jena Flektogons, at widest aperture..something for me to read up on the net. Your Nikon zoom would be a far more sophisticated optic.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post these examples Derrel. That really is a special lens, different look to anything i've used or seen. A real bespoke optic for portraiture very nice. Everything nicely controlled. Is it your favorite portrait lens?

How about MF primes, and AF primes and zooms. ;)

I chose the last option because it was the closest I guess. I have a 50mm f/1.8 and 300 f/2.8 mf primes I still use. Rest are AF primes and zooms. Although we just got a replacement for the 50 f/1.8 mf. A new 50mm f/1.4 AF. :D Getting lazy I guess. :p

Thanks for the input Ben.
Just to answer a question. The poll reflects my interest in identifying other enthusiasts on the TPF who have a primary interest in manual focus primes/vintage lenses. (I designated the pollers ID as public so others can benefit from the poll in a similar way). As well as using the lenses, i am interested in the theory, design and history of optics both old and new, interested in user feedback of lenses both MF and AF, comparisons, anecdotal info regarding these lenses (for instance, I have a couple of 6 in 6 formula lenses which can be dismantled to be used in alternative configurations, reversed, modified etc). I'm interested in all of these things, as are others i'm sure. This thread/poll facilitates more interaction on these topics.

I use whatever I can get my hands on.

My oldest lens is in a Zeiss from 1937.

The oldest I actually use is from 1956. It's a Kodak Ektar 127 f4.7 mounted in a Pacemaker Speed Graphic -usually with an RH-10 roll film adapter on the back.

I have several old Brownies if that counts. I don't do it often but I have re-rolled 120 film on the old spools a couple times just to play. I have a couple different models. Other than that most of my lenses are at least 70's and newer. I may have 1 non-AI Nikon lens on a "show" camera I have. Never even tried to use it. All of my Bronica's are primes, as well as the couple LF 4x5 lenses I have. But nothing special about them.

Most reactions

Back