Your opinion on b&w photos with one color?

OhInsanity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
are you for or against it, I talked with a college photography professor one time and he said he hated it. Is that just him, or is it a general dislike for photographers?

The reason I'm asking is because if my photo here: I am using it or one similar to it in my portfolio, but I dunno if I should leave it in full color or simply black and white.

over-1-1.jpg

If it's a discreet, note of color like that red, i like it. But not so much the panel, left.

I agree I would leave only the bracelet color, but less bright. Awesome photo btw! LOVE IT... Good work on broadening your portfolio content. Sorry if I was a bit harsh before.

Thanks guys! Dots> I see what you mean
Bitter Jeweler> I was thinking it might be distracting and I can see how that topic could hold high tempers, I guess its a like it or hate it thing. I'll go search it though and see for myself
JMBriggs> really? thank you =] its not exactly how I pictured it in my mind, but it was hard to get it just right while hopping up and down on one foot haha! and nah dont worry about it, I liked your comment, at least the second time I read it, the first time I was still in my hissy fit mood =p it sounded like something one of my friends would say

Im gonna play around with these pics a bit more with saturation and such and see what I can come up with

awe man I just followed that link! poor chick >.< and thats funny shes from GA too, oh damn! she got madder than I did. I thought I was bad. lol

OhInsanity said:
awe man I just followed that link! poor chick >.< and thats funny shes from GA too

I agree with Bitter.

I actually like selective color and I like your picture but not together. It's an awesome shot but the red doesn't add anything to the image. It is kind of a distraction. The bracelet probably isn't what you want people to focus on. Just my opinion.

One thing to learn and remember from playing with selective coloring, is how much attention a rather small bright spot of color can attract your eye. Think about how you can use something like that to lead a viewers eye around an image.

thanks! I'll just save the SC for facebook then and try it in just b&w and also I'll see what it looks like slightly desaturated like Bitter suggested. I wish my face was in there, I could use it as my profile pic =/ oh well another time perhaps.
All I did with this pic was take the vibrance way down, but maybe if I take just the red out I can keep the rest of it that hue, because I kind of like the "rustyness"

Bitter, yeah I see what you mean, I wish the colors of the stickers had showed up on my guitar...that might have been nice, I mean on my other versions of this photo where you can see my guitar more fully. I wanted to like your post, but my computer won't let me, so just know, "like".

Last edited:
I kinda like the image, FWIW. I would like to see how you could have framed it vertically to capture your face, or your other foot too. I like the background lines, they are strong but not overwhelming to me. I also think the red/brown bit provides a nice counter point to your foreground shoe.

FWIW? Sorry I'm very slow with acronyms...what does that stand for? and thank you!! I have a few with my face in them but there was they just didnt turn out quite as well, and I shot this by laying my tripod at an angle on a shoe box XD haha I couldnt think of any other way. maybe If I got something to stand on as well...then I could have a fuller picture. Huh, I wish I had thought of that yesterday when I took them =/ I'm always one step behind =p.

OhInsanity said:
FWIW? Sorry I'm very slow with acronyms...what does that stand for? and thank you!! I have a few with my face in them but there was they just didnt turn out quite as well, and I shot this by laying my tripod at an angle on a shoe box XD haha I couldnt think of any other way. maybe If I got something to stand on as well...then I could have a fuller picture. Huh, I wish I had thought of that yesterday when I took them =/ I'm always one step behind =p.

For what it's worth

FWIW=For what it's worth. And I thought I was being clever using you youngins texty speak!

Your not one step behind. You are learning things. That's a step ahead.

I see an image in your Flickr I would like to show you a different way to crop it, if you give me permission to edit and post a photo. (which is a great way to learn by seeing)

Oooh! yeah I'm out of touch with my fellow youths, I'm not too fond of my generation haha. And sure go right ahead, the only reason I opted for my photos to not be ok to edit, is so that not just anyone does it, but I trust you. BTW since you guys like this photo...If I posted a few more of the diff versions of it to my flickr, would you guys help me choose one?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62664304@N03/sets/72157627876359979/with/6290179991/

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back