What's new

Your opinion on b&w photos with one color?

I have to do this in two edits...


This image struck me...

6287219200_c289a8cc2a_z.jpg


The little white spot on the far right draws the eye away. To my sensibility, the other incomplete bits on the right also compete for attention as well since they are behind the real subject which is facing left. So in my mind, I felt I could strengthen the image by removing them.

b19906d0.png


This crop is tight, but since you already missed the very top of his head, I think it works well. It also implies a diagonal line from top left to bottom right (roughly). I think the diagonal works with the emotion in his face.

I think most would like to see his eyes, but I like this image and it's harsh light. It still has feeling, even without expressive eyes.


This is my opinion. Some may agree strongly, somewhat, or not at all. It is presented to give you options to think about to help you come to your own conclusions.




I also like edit-5 of the image in the OP. (original post)
 
Last edited:
I'm glad you like that one =] It's one of my favorties, but I didnt get a lot of response from friends and family, because all they see is "oh thats quite dark"

hey these are all of the "shoe" photos from that shoot, I desaturated them like you said Bitter, so which one composition and quality wise do you guys think is better?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62664304@N03/sets/72157627876359979/
 
OhInsanity said:
Oooh! yeah I'm out of touch with my fellow youths, I'm not too fond of my generation haha. And sure go right ahead, the only reason I opted for my photos to not be ok to edit, is so that not just anyone does it, but I trust you. BTW since you guys like this photo...If I posted a few more of the diff versions of it to my flickr, would you guys help me choose one?

Yeah. I would never have thought that was you - just because of the angle!
 
OhInsanity said:
Oooh! yeah I'm out of touch with my fellow youths, I'm not too fond of my generation haha. And sure go right ahead, the only reason I opted for my photos to not be ok to edit, is so that not just anyone does it, but I trust you. BTW since you guys like this photo...If I posted a few more of the diff versions of it to my flickr, would you guys help me choose one?

Oh yeah and the FWIW thing took me a while to figure out! I'm quite a bit older then you but still.....
 
I'm glad you like that one =] It's one of my favorties, but I didnt get a lot of response from friends and family, because all they see is "oh thats quite dark"

Tell them it's "low key". Hey look! A lighting technique to learn more about! :sexywink:
 
I have to do this in two edits...


This image struck me...



The little white spot on the far right draws the eye away. To my sensibility, the other incomplete bits on the right also compete for attention as well since they are behind the real subject which is facing left. So in my mind, I felt I could strengthen the image by removing them.



This crop is tight, but since you already missed the very top of his head, I think it works well. It also implies a diagonal line from top left to bottom right (roughly). I think the diagonal works with the emotion in his face.

I think most would like to see his eyes, but I like this image and it's harsh light. It still has feeling, even without expressive eyes.


This is my opinion. Some may agree strongly, somewhat, or not at all. It is presented to give you options to think about to help you come to your own conclusions.




I also like edit-5 of the image in the OP. (original post)
Wow I never even noticed ther white spot but now that you've pointed it out, it really does distrsct. I like your edit but I think I may try it with a bit more of the dark space on the left, I dunno I just like it, like its on abyss haha and almost sort of rule of thrids...ish. I was thinking about going in with a brush tool and lightening up the eyes just a bit. also thanks for picking one out from the feet pics, do you think its a little over exposed though, like the tin walls are I think..

Oh and low-key lighting I am definitely about to look into, like right now, I really like the atmosphere it gives to photos
 
Does that photo count as a self-portrait, even though you can't see my face? Since it is me, and I did take the photo
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom