Your Questions Answered

Hertz van Rental

We're supposed to post photos?
Reaction score
It's Christmas Eve and it's gone all quiet. As a cure for boredom (mine) I shall endeavour to answer any question anyone cares to put.
It can be an obscure technical one or something a little more light hearted. I shall respond accordingly.

Just seems we haven't had one of these threads for a while so....

Hertz, I'm going to be experimenting with warm and tone cold papers in the darkroom. I thought I'd use Ethol LPD as a change, since apparently you can use it for both papers, by changing dilutions.

Do you have a preference in paper type for B&W? What is it? Do you like LPD as a paper developer? If not, what's your preference?

Okay, dry maybe, but that's what I want to know. :mrgreen:

Is that a criticism, Chase? I'll go away if you want. :lol:

I'm not sure I do spend that much time on TPF - just a few hours a night, a bit more at weekends. I don't have internet access at work.
But I spend a lot of time here because I love Photography, and an awful lot of the people here are so nice and such fun. They put up with me, too.

Besides, there's d*ck all on TV.

terri said:
Hertz, I'm going to be experimenting with warm and tone cold papers in the darkroom. I thought I'd use Ethol LPD as a change, since apparently you can use it for both papers, by changing dilutions.

Do you have a preference in paper type for B&W? What is it? Do you like LPD as a paper developer? If not, what's your preference?

Okay, dry maybe, but that's what I want to know. :mrgreen:
Have to admit to never having tried them. I was never a real darkroom freak in terms of printing. I always like to go in and just bang them out. This meant learning control of the neg so I got the same results every time.
For prints I always used Ilford fibre base double weight, developed in Dektol. Special stuff I usually Selenium toned to warm the blacks and to make it all that bit richer.

I still have hankerings to try different processes - I'd love to have a shot at a Daguerreotype - but I just never found the time.

Hertz van Rental said:
Have to admit to never having tried them. I was never a real darkroom freak in terms of printing. I always like to go in and just bang them out. This meant learning control of the neg so I got the same results every time.
For prints I always used Ilford fibre base double weight, developed in Dektol. Special stuff I usually Selenium toned to warm the blacks and to make it all that bit richer.

I still have hankerings to try different processes - I'd love to have a shot at a Daguerreotype - but I just never found the time.
I shall remind you of this thread when I post results over in the darkroom forum and you swoop in to explain everything I did wrong. ;) But thank you.

Okay, then....guess I'm flying blind. I have the potential to become a real darkroom geek - I am so intrigued by the thought of printmaking, and trying all these paper-developer combinations. :blushing:

I've read over the process of Daguerreotype, and it's a bit daunting. There's a reason I chose bromoil printmaking as my first foray into these old-time processes. :mrgreen:

my question is: how long will it take me to collect enough cash for dslr??? :D can you answer this??? please...

mentos_007 said:
my question is: how long will it take me to collect enough cash for dslr??? :D can you answer this??? please...
Depends on how much money you earn, and what you do to earn it ;)

panzershreck said:
do you like contrast or lots of gray?

what's your favorite negative format?

ever ****ed off your subject? (I have)
I prefer to get a full tonal range print.
My neg format depends on what I am doing. I like everything from 35mm to 10x8.
Some formats are more convenient for certain things.
6x6 for portraits, 10x8 for studio. 5x4 for general and landscape. 35mm for all of the above when I'm travelling light.

terri said:
I shall remind you of this thread when I post results over in the darkroom forum and you swoop in to explain everything I did wrong. ;)
Have I ever done that? I don't think so. Nor would I. I tend to only answer technical questions when people say they have a problem.

I tried Bromoil once but just couldn't get it to work. Gave up after two days. I think it's one of those things where you need to see it done before you can do it.
I did come across a very interesting non-silver printing method where you mix the emulsion yourself and coat the paper prior to printing. Looked fascinating. I have all the info somewhere. I shall dig it out and if you haven't heard of it I'll send you a copy.

PlasticSpanner said:
How good are Tamron lenses compared to Sigma?:D
About the same. These days with computer design and manufacture there is little to choose between them all.
In the 70's Tamron were second-rate lenses but better than Sigma. But things have changed.
I prefer to buy the same as my camera - Olympus for 35mm and digital.

Most reactions

Back