Your secondary 'walking about' camera?

phild2k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What camera do you use, if any, to back up your main body? I'm talking about that much smaller, more lightweight camera that you keep near for walking about with. It may have interchangeable lenses, or it may be fixed?

I'm thinking about either the Fujifilm X100F or the Sony a6500 Alpha.

I made my main body smaller, more lightweight, but moving to mirrorless. :smile:

If I want to go extreme, I'll either take my Canon S95 advanced P&S or just use my iPhone.

I have a Panasonic TZ80 which is excellent if you judge it on its own terms (i.e. not compare it to a larger, heavier camera and lens costing literally 10x as much). I have recently ordered an Olympus Pen camera (I cannot remember the precise model - I no longer do short term memory) which should arrive tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it will have higher IQ than the Panasonic but not be too heavy to carry around on non-photographic jaunts.

I have two Fuji X-E bodies. One is in the studio and one travels when I want to shoot photos. When I'm not doing photography I have a Panasonic point and shoot camera that fits easily in a shirt pocket.

If I want to go light I take the vertical grip off my D750 and toss a 50mm lens on it.. that combo on a black rapid strap is virtually weightless.. I've even forgotten that I'm carrying it before.

If that's too much to carry then my iPhone is next down the list.. takes pretty stellar images in a pinch.

I use a D3300 as my light weight travel camera, and the 2 VR kit lenses. I have also added a SB-700 to the backpack. If I want something light and quick, I just grab the D3300. It and the kit lenses are light.

My main bodies are D800 and D600 both of which are gripped.

I use my pocket-size mirrorless and 22mm f/2 pancake lens
(except for birds and sports) ...the big DSLR easily fits on mirrorless
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Z when you want to travel lite you could just pick up the tiny 300mm f/2.8 pocket lens :clap:

I have a Sony NEX-6 with kit 16-50mm though don't really ever use it ... like Zombie I actually prefer not to travel light.

My back up camera to my main body (Nikon D750) is the Nikon D3300, great little camera, I also have the Sony a6300 which is my main camera for traveling.

IPhone SE. It has made many nice
photos for me. I also now shoot the D610,minus the grip, with the small-sized 50mm/1.8 AF Nikkor or the small 28-80 Af-D

Iphone 6+

Recently backed up my 70D 70-200 3"2.8 with a 5Diii with 24-105 f4L so Im looking for options to carry 3 cameras now.

Iphone 6+

Recently backed up my 70D 70-200 3"2.8 with a 5Diii with 24-105 f4L so Im looking for options to carry 3 cameras now.

wow, carrying three (3) cameras and three (3) different lens ..... gotta be sub optimal
I carry one just one small pocket-size camera ... but different lens depending on the situation
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back