Your thoughts on the Tamron AF 18-200mm

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have any expereince with the Tamron AF 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 IF? A local photoshop has a used one for $225 which sounds like a good price. I have the Canon 28-135 IS and the older 75-300. The 18-200mm seems like a good middle of the road lens.

It's a superzoom, so it sacrifices quality for convenience. Test it out. If the quality is good enough for you, then it's good enough.

I agree. Make sure the shop you buy it from allows for some days to return the lens if you dont like it. When you get it, test it, and if you like it, keep it.

Personally, I wouldnt buy it as it doesn't fit what I need in terms of lenses.

I have no experience with the Tamron, but I do have the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens, which I like (except lately, it's developed a bit of lens creep). You sacrifice quality for convenience, as epp_b points out, but for someone like me who does tons of travel photography (hiking around the Himalayas, backpacking, etc.), it enables me to travel with just one lens. And I can't possibly exaggerate how wonderful that is and how it's enabled me to get shots that I might have missed or may not have come out adequately. So for me, that's totally worth it. But I may have different needs from others here.

Most reactions

Back