Your thoughts on this lens?

Stilltime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The EF 50mm 1.8 II

What I like about it? The price. I want something better than the kit lens for indoors/low light, but don't want to break the bank. The other two 50mm's jump to 500, and then into the thousands, which isn't happening right now (at least not for that lens).

Less than a hundred bucks is definitely do-able, but if it's going to be a big fat waste of money I don't want to be bothered, you know?

Great lens.

Pros: Tack sharp, great in low light, nice image quality, excellent for exploring depth of field, inconspicuous, cheapcheapcheapcheap.

Cons: Cheaply made (plasticy), sometimes slow to autofocus, maybe mildly tight on a crop camera.

I use mine often, for a variety of applications. For $85, it's an excellent addition to your bag. The 50mm 1.4 is faster and built a little better -- but, as you note, you pay a fair bit more for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 1.8.

Its a great lens, and I only had AF issues once. I own it for about 5-6 months and use it often if I need to open up the aperture even more.

great lens for the $$$$$'
can't go wrong

I used to owned this lens. This is the best price per performance lens you can get in Canon lens line up. You can't go wrong with it.

Yeah, I just got mine and I love it... It's sharp, relatively fast and cheap.

I mainly got mine for a backup lens if something happens to my others, but,it does a good job.

Cons: the focus is a bit loud (compared to what I'm used to) and it feels like a toy. Extremely light and plasticky.

I agree with what has been said. It has good value for the price but it's one of the cheapest (price & build quality) lenses in the Canon line up. If you drop it, chances are good that it won't survive.

The EF 50mm F1.4 is only $325 US...and is still a good value. The optical quality is similar to the F1.8 version (maybe a little better) but everything else is quite a bit better. If you plan to keep & use a 50mm lens for many years...I'd recommend this one over the F1.8.

Canon | 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Lens | 2515A003 | B&H Photo

$325 shipped, not $500

Edit: Dang, didnt see Big Mike's post...

I didnt read all posts cuz I have the 50mm F/1.4 and I got it for 300 a few months ago. :) People say the F/1.8 feels kinda cheap in their hands, plastic? Im not sure i dont own it. The F/1.4 feels very solid.

i owned the 1.8 until i was drunk on Halloween then dropped the lens from like 3' and it shatters in like 3 pieces. I cried, maybe i was drunk on alcohol cause i loved that lens so much. I have the 1.4 for the better build and never looked back. But if i didn't drop the 1.8 i wouldn't of had the 1.4. You can't go wrong with either one. Whats important is the price in my opinion, what you're willing to pay.

I never drank and shoot again...cause friends don't let friends shoot drunk.

My thoughts....

Awesome first prime lense!! Can't beat the image quality for the price.

I have had one for a while now, and am looking to move up to a 50 f1.4, or possibly a 30mm f1.4 for a wider view.

I have the 50mm 1.8. I don't use it a whole lot. It is sharp and cheap. But its built like a toy, manual focus is all but impossible with the tiny little focus ring. No ring markings at all. And perhaps it is just me, but the out of focus highlights with this lens look aweful IMHO. I think the pentagon shaped highlights are horrid. But again, it is cheap. Worth the price, you bet it is. Is Canon's 50 1.4 worht the extra cash....yes. If I were to use a 50mm lens a lot, I would get the 1.4 or the Sigma 50mm 1.4.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back