Your Top 5 Tips and Tricks for sunrise/landscapes in 3...2....1

msgbmd2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This Saturday, I am waking up at 4am to meet the sunrise at the Blowing Rocks Preserve in Jupiter, Fl. Flickriver: Most interesting photos tagged with palmbeacharchitecturalphotography

I'm going to attempt some landscape photography and am looking for your top 5 technical tips and tricks. (I've already got down the common sense stuff like ariving early, using a tripod and protecting my equipment!). Your tips on how to meter, settings for different effects, etc. is what I'm looking for! What is best for when the sun is rising? What is best for after the sun comes up?

Here is what I have to work with:
Canon 600D (EOS Rebel T3i)
18-55mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens
55-250mm f4-5.6
50mm f1.8 prime
Circular polarized filter (no GND - bummer!!)
Tripod, remote trigger

Should I use that filter? For smooth, "milky water", will (let's say) f/16 at 1/15th ISO 100 work for me? Anything and everything you can tell me is much appreciated :D

Bracket your exposures. Especially without the GND filter, you can blend a shorter exposure for the sky with a longer exposure for the land and get the same sort of result.

Use a neutral density filter on camera.
Get foreground in the photo to create depth.
Consider a bright flashlight to paint foreground with light.
Set camera for pop colour or sunsets.

1. While using your tripod, use 'mirror lock up' mode and a remote (or timer).

2. Learn about how to figure out and use the hyperfocal distance. (hint: get a DOF app if you have a smart phone).

3. When the sun is comming up in front of you, turn around and look at (shoot) how that beautiful light is making everything else look great.

4. Be prepared. There is often a lot of waiting, followed by 15 mnutes of fantasitc light, then it's practically gone. So be ready and also scout out the area as you may find a few different spots that you'll want to shoot from...and the best time for some of them, may be in that same small window of time.

5. Don't forget to enjoy the moment. Sometimes we get too caught up in the act of photography, that we forget to just look around and take in the beauty of nature with our own eyes.

5. Don't forget to enjoy the moment. Sometimes we get too caught up in the act of photography, that we forget to just look around and take in the beauty of nature with our own eyes.

I hear ya on this point! I always try to make sure I do this.

I like to "get low," with landscape pictures.

These are all fantastic tips... thank you!! I'll have to post some for C&C when I get back.

These are pro tips that should really help you with your landscape photography:

1. rule of third works 99% of the time.
2. Get a wrist strap.
3. film isn't better than digital.
4. digital isn't better than film.
5. Macro photography isn't for everyone.

:biglaugh:

Other tips not yet mentioned;
1. Shoot low
2. TURN 'IS' OFF
3. You don't have to shoot wide.

Reiterate;
Use mirror lock up but remember to press the remote the second time so you don't damage your shutter curtains.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back