Zion Panoramic

Aloicious

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I was driving through Zion national Park the other day...it was raining most of the time (what a drag), but the rain let up enough to take a couple pics, here's a panoramic I shot at one point, it was still kindof lightly raining, which is why there is a slight haze between the segments of mountain...but it was one of the better shots from the day....3 image stiched pano, taken w/ D800 24-70 @ 52mm f5.6 ~1/80s
Zion_panoramic.jpg

on my screen for some reason it's getting resized, the image should be 2741x800 which is the size I saved it for....this link should be the "full" sized one if you want to see it:
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/guitargeek1968/Zion_panoramic.jpg

I like it, but I feel like there should be one more frame to the right, or bring the right edge in a little so it doesn't cut off mid peak. Other than that... I'm jealous. There is nothing like that near here :)

yeah I was looking at that too, I didn't shoot more because there was a big tree next to me covering that peak that I couldn't get around...I'll try croping a little.

Just my opinion but I like the new crop much better. Wonderful shot

So I was driving through Zion national Park the other day...it was raining most of the time (what a drag)

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?! The best time to be in Zion is when its raining.

Wait.. nevermind. Go back to your hotel and wait it out. :p

The rocks look way over saturated.

didn't have a hotel, just driving through it on the way home. the rain was a drag mainly because I'm overprotective of my gear, stopping to hike around was fun in the rain, just a few times it was too wet to take my gear out in...I wasnt there specifically to photograph it, it was just a casual stop in a longer trip, so I didn't have and rain-protective stuff with me.

I actually de-saturated the rocks a little bit. the color on my calibrated monitor as actually a good representation of how they looked in real life. these were taken about 1-2 hrs prior to sunset so the light I had was pretty warm and the rain water brings out the color on the rock more.

Last edited:
Sharp panoramic, but the stitching is evident and the sky fill on the right is obvious.

I didn't use a sky fill at all, I did a little burn/dodge in a few places, but not much most of the sky is from the camera...I don't see the stitching, what area are you refering to that it is evident?

I actually de-saturated the rocks a little bit. the color on my calibrated monitor as actually a good representation of how they looked in real life. these were taken about 1-2 hrs prior to sunset so the light I had was pretty warm and the rain water brings out the color on the rock more.

strange.... no color in the clouds and you're looking directly west.
Also the black streak of varnish left of sentinel should be black not purple.

I didn't use a sky fill at all, I did a little burn/dodge in a few places, but not much most of the sky is from the camera...I don't see the stitching, what area are you refering to that it is evident?

Just where the gray area meets the clouds. Nice subject.

that's probably from some burning/dodging in the area, I was trying to get the haze a little better around sentinal, probably over did it in that area, I'll see if I can correct that, the purple didn't stand out to me much until you mentioned it. now I can't stop looking at it. :lol:

I'm actually facing northwestish in the image. the sun was camera left but out of frame by quite a bit, however there were many clouds with only a few openings letting in some light, where I was standing was in the shade of a cloud, but there was direct sun coming through on the formation on the R of the image (I think it's part of the 'east temple' formation, not sure on the name of it though) which is why its lit so much more than the others. I was just off to the side of the road on the 3rd switchback on zion park blvd road (US9):
https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=&q=...t=p&ei=mAQ0UN37LanriwLLrICQCg&ved=0CBkQ8gEwAA

Just where the gray area meets the clouds. Nice subject.

its an amazing place, about 4 hours southeast of where I live I really need to get back there sometime hopefully on a not so wet day, and maybe when all the fires in the west US aren't causing a nasty blanket of haze over everything. Idaho was especially bad with fire/smoke caused haze all over last week.

I'll have to check it out in full size when I get home. I'm on my laptop without the image files on it. you're talking about the grey stormcloud on the R of the image?

just curious... when exactly were you there?

sunday the 19th, we drove in to the south of the park on US9 roughly around 6pm, drove out the other side still on US9 roughly around 7:30pm moutain time....didn't have much time to stay around and explore, I was on the road for ~14 hours that day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back