Zoom lens choices for outdoor wildlife photos

Larry70

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello new to the forum. I'm interested in getting a high power zoom lens for my Canon Rebel T5. Currently I'm using a Sigma 70-300mm lens. I'm living in China and have noticed it is much harder to get close enough to the local birds to get good pictures with the setup I have now. The birds tend to be much more skittish around people. My concern is if I get say a 400mm or higher lens will I loose the ability to take free hand shots of moving birds and animals or will these lens only be good for use on a tri-pod. Thanks for any information helping me to decide on a higher priced setup.

Space Face

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
The Canon 400 f.5.6L is a fantastic lens. Tack sharp, fairly inexpensive and lightweight.

Space Face

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Also consider a monopod. Easier to transport than a tripod and will help greatly in avoiding camera shake. I've just invested in a Sirui for my Sigma 150-600 C. Another great affordable lens but heavier than the above mentioned Canon.

OP
L

Larry70

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Also consider a monopod. Easier to transport than a tripod and will help greatly in avoiding camera shake. I've just invested in a Sirui for my Sigma 150-600 C. Another great affordable lens but heavier than the above mentioned Canon.
Thanks, I'll check these out!

OP
L

Larry70

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I just ordered a Sirui and a Sigma 150-600 C. Cost twice as much as my camera, I let you know how they work out. Excited!

Space Face

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just ordered a Sirui and a Sigma 150-600 C. Cost twice as much as my camera, I let you know how they work out. Excited!

You're always better with good glass and a cheaper camera than an expensive camera with cheap glass.

Strodav

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I started birding with a Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 G2. It is sharp in the center and gets a bit soft in the corners, but that's not a problem with an aps-c camera as you only use the center part of the lens. It is reasonably priced at $1200 new and has performed well for me. It is a bit heavy, but I have not had any problems using it handheld even for tracking birds in flight. As others have mentioned, the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 contemporary is also a reasonably priced lens that works well. The Sigma sport has better Image Quality, but is much, much heavier.

You might want to look at a Canon mirrorless camera like the EOS R and their new 600mm f/11 ($700) and 800mm f/11 ($900). Both lenses get excellent reviews. A used mirrorless EOS R and these lenses might be a better value than buying a new lens for the 2014 T5.

Scott Whaley

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I use a Sigma 150-600 Sports lens for wildlife photography. I also have the Sigma 150-600 contemporary lens which is much lighter than the Sports Lens. You should be able to get a used contemporary lens for less than $500 US on line.

Most reactions