120 film came out of developing tank a strange color

kansascamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what I did wrong here? It is JCH Street Pan 400. My first time to use this film. I'm guessing this is not the color it should be. Further guessing this will turn out to be a rookie mistake. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me.

Attachments

• IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1559.jpg
    IMG_1559.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 226
Looks fine to me. I see evidence of a light leak, but nothing unusual about the color.

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what I did wrong here? It is JCH Street Pan 400. My first time to use this film. I'm guessing this is not the color it should be. Further guessing this will turn out to be a rookie mistake. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me.
All other developed film comes out blackish.....this is pale yellowish. Never seen this color. Is this an attribute of JCH film? And thank you for your response.

Hard to say, but it looks like its not fully fixed.

That was my first thought, before opening the thread and seeing the photos. The purple-ish blotches are cause for some concern...

Hard to say what you did wrong if you don't tell us what you did.

How did you process it?

If it is the color that concerns you, it may be the normal look of this film. According to reviews of the film it is supposed to have a gelatin coating on the back side which is unusual. That could account for the color and some B&W films do have different colors when processed.

I was going to say that it looks similar to what my old Agfapan negs looked like ... then I found an article online that mentions that your film was possibly born from Agfa surveillance film ... hmm.

How did you process it?

If it is the color that concerns you, it may be the normal look of this film. According to reviews of the film it is supposed to have a gelatin coating on the back side which is unusual. That could account for the color and some B&W films do have different colors when processed.
D-76 1:1 10:50 (per package instructions)

How did you process it?

Hit POST too soon:

D-76 1:1 10:50 (per package instructions)
Stop Bath 2 minutes
Heico Fixer 5 minutes
Water Bath 2 minutes
Perma Wash 2 minutes
My measurements could have been off. Human error. Will develop another roll to see. Thank you for your thoughts.

Every thing looks good except, stop bath should be no more than 30 secs and your wash time should be 5-10 mins before Perma wash.

Note: without Perma, wash time should be no less than 30 min.

How did you process it?

Thank you for this observation. Good food for thought.
Every thing looks good except, stop bath should be no more than 30 secs and your wash time should be 5-10 mins before Perma wash.

Note: without Perma, wash time should be no less than 30 min.
Got it! Noted and Thank you kindly.

A Method to Reduce Both Wash Time and Water Used:
1.Dump Fixer,every last drop,from development tank
2. fill tank with temp.-controlled water and agitate for 10 seconds, then wait 30 additional seconds 3. dump water from tank and repeat step # 2
3. After 10 minutes or so of this routine, film will be thoroughly washed.

This, or very similar rinse/agitate/wait/repeat methods is very effective!

2. fill tank with temp.-controlled water and agitate for 10 seconds, then wait 30 additional seconds 3. dump water from tank and repeat step # 2

This is all I do.

Pour out fixer. Rinse multiple times (6-8) with 68°F water. Then start a constant water bath with 68°F water flow from faucet.

Good info. That would cut down on water usage. I just rinse in running tap water for 30-40 mins and it comes out fine (I don't pay for water where I live).

Similar to the method Derrel outlined, Ilford came out with this method some years ago:

1. Dump fixer, letting it drain out completely.
2. Fill tank with water the same temperature as it was developed in. Invert the tank 5 times, then dump.
3. Fill tank again as before. Invert the tank 10 times, then dump.
4. Fill tank a final time as before. Invert the tank 20 times, then dump.

I think of it as the 5-10-20 method - and in truth, I usually do it one more time, because why not? :lol: But that's the official Ilford recommendation; it saves water and time.

I also fill the tank one last time, this time with the lid off so I can see the film reel, and add a drop or two of LFN or similar wetting agent. I agitate one minute just by lifting and gently dropping the reel in the solution, then dump.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back