120 film came out of developing tank a strange color

Similar to the method Derrel outlined, Ilford came out with this method some years ago:

1. Dump fixer, letting it drain out completely.
2. Fill tank with water the same temperature as it was developed in. Invert the tank 5 times, then dump.
3. Fill tank again as before. Invert the tank 10 times, then dump.
4. Fill tank a final time as before. Invert the tank 20 times, then dump.

I think of it as the 5-10-20 method - and in truth, I usually do it one more time, because why not? :lol: But that's the official Ilford recommendation; it saves water and time.

I also fill the tank one last time, this time with the lid off so I can see the film reel, and add a drop or two of LFN or similar wetting agent. I agitate one minute just by lifting and gently dropping the reel in the solution, then dump.
Thank you all for sharing your process. I greatly appreciate you taking the time!

Just as a late aside, I always mixed all my chemistry with distilled or filtered water and did my washes using filtered water to eliminate any irons or other minerals that can also contribute to discoloration. In my home lab (when it gets rebuilt) I use an inline RV filter. Works great and is cheap.

Just as a late aside, I always mixed all my chemistry with distilled or filtered water and did my washes using filtered water to eliminate any irons or other minerals that can also contribute to discoloration. In my home lab (when it gets rebuilt) I use an inline RV filter. Works great and is cheap.
Thank you. I, too, use distilled water. And I developed a second roll yesterday of this same film and it looks fine! I tweaked my procedure using the input that all of you gave me. Thanks again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back