40D vs 50D

mamatomaya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
snapshotsbybri.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently shoot with an old rebel xt. I am looking to upgrade and recently found keh.com. How is your experience with them? Good/bad? They have a used 40D for around $650 and used 50D for around $850. Thoughts on which one to go with?

Do the D50, the D40 doesn't have autofocus

there will be times that you wish you had autofocus even if you don't think you won't need it.

there will be times that you wish you had autofocus even if you don't think you won't need it.

You are obviously talking about the wrong camera!! The Canon 40d and 50d both have autofocus.

With the 50d you get 15mp instead of 12 , better lcd to view images, live view, micro adjust (the 40d may have this but Im not sure) and Im sure there are acouple of more things. To me it is worth the extra $200 but that is a decision that you will have to make. Im sure there are some that will argue the other way.

edit: I think this has been discussed before but I upgraded from the xt to a 50d and it was a great upgrade well worth it but... you will see a bigger difference in your images with better glass. So if you just are planning to get the 50d with the 28-135mm lens I think you would be better off spending the $850 on a 50mm f1.4 ,85mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8 macro or L series glass. The lens on the camera is really what makes the picture. Especailly on these lower end cameras from the xt to the 50d . Now obviously with the 5d mk2 and 1d series its a different story but you still need very good glass.

Last edited:
Wait for the 60D release next month. That'll make both the 40D and 50D even cheaper.

You are obviously talking about the wrong camera!! The Canon 40d and 50d both have autofocus.

With the 50d you get 15mp instead of 12 , better lcd to view images, live view, micro adjust (the 40d may have this but Im not sure) and Im sure there are acouple of more things. To me it is worth the extra $200 but that is a decision that you will have to make. Im sure there are some that will argue the other way.

edit: I think this has been discussed before but I upgraded from the xt to a 50d and it was a great upgrade well worth it but... you will see a bigger difference in your images with better glass. So if you just are planning to get the 50d with the 28-135mm lens I think you would be better off spending the $850 on a 50mm f1.4 ,85mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8 macro or L series glass. The lens on the camera is really what makes the picture. Especailly on these lower end cameras from the xt to the 50d . Now obviously with the 5d mk2 and 1d series its a different story but you still need very good glass.

OH I WAS THINKING NIKON! sorry

Most reactions

New Topics

Back