46 Gallon Bow-Front Aquarium

it is freshwater. The salt creep is because we have a water softener I guess.... I certainly don't add salt.

ahh.. that stinks.

Make sure to watch in HD!

Last edited by a moderator:
live plants? What kind of lighting do you have?

Yes they are live plants. I currently have 2x39watt T5HO lights at 10,000K, and 2x39watt T5HO lights at 6700K, on about an 8hr cycle. I may shorten/lessen it soon, depending on how much algae growth I get.

Cheers!
Jake

You need some bottom dwellers in there :)

I currently have 5 cory cats, but plan on adding 2 whip-tail catfish and a school of kuhli loaches.

And one more!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, sh** went down tonight.. Literally. I heard a cracking noise twice two nights ago, stressed a bit, and let it be. Then again tonight around 6 I heard a really loud one, and started freaking out. I live on the second floor, and the tank is in close proximity to thousands of dollars of tech and stereo equip(limited space). Needless to say, I decided to drain it, and found a local place that sells this particular tank. Went ahead and got a new one, a few plants, a new piece of driftwood, and came back and set it up. It looks good. Maybe even better. Fish seem alright (we'll know in the morning how detrimental the shock was). I have high hopes. The kicker? I can't seem to find any cracks on the old tank. Granted, they could be hiding behind silicone or the trim, but it's annoying. I know for a fact that if I left it full I wouldn't have been able to sleep. So here's to hoping I no longer here those dreaded cracking sounds... More pictures and video to come, but here's a quick cellphone snap.

ujuqy6aj.jpg

Cheers!
Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm at work today, but my father said the fish look happy!

Fish are looking good, added the UV sterilizer, now all I need to do is switch back to the old background. This ones nice, but doesn't provide the same amount of depth..

erepy6u5.jpg

If you've been following along, you know I had to drain and fill a new tank recently. Since then, I changed the outflow, removed the airstone, added a UV sterilizer, a few plants, a new piece of driftwood, and changed the scape. I'm getting happier and happier with it. I still have a few things that need tweaking, but it's slowly starting to settle out.

The Tank--This photo was created with 3 off camera flashes, and I blended the exposures from 3 separate images.

The Tank by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

And the drama continues. My Nova Extreme light fixture (4x39watt T5 HO) has been not working more and more, and today I came home from work to find out that it hadn't been on all day. Couple that and the noise of the fan and I got fed up and bought a new light. This time I went with LED's, as I'll need no fan, and they'll use significantly less power (~120watts vs ~40watts I believe). Now lets hope the new one works..this tank is getting expensive!

Cheers,
Jake

Good grief! I thought an aquarium would be a nice, quiet, RELAXING hobby LOL!!

Anyway, looks like never a dull moment for you lately. Thanks for the updates!

Good grief! I thought an aquarium would be a nice, quiet, RELAXING hobby LOL!!

Anyway, looks like never a dull moment for you lately. Thanks for the updates!

Me too! I think part of the problem was that the gear (tank, lights, etc) had atleast 2 or 3 years of full-time use, and then sat in a a box for three years. I should have anticipated all of these failures... thankfully the pumps are working!

Jake

Most reactions

Back