1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

5D mkii underexposing?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by guitarkid, May 11, 2009.

1. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

i'm not sure what it is but most of the shots i take with mkii are underexposed. i always shoot M and never had an issue with any of my previous canon bodies. i've had the 20d, 30d, 40d, 50d, 5d. if i set for iso, say iso1600 for indoors, and F5.6, and shutter, doesn't matter.....the meter is always in the middle, set for proper exposure...it comes out dark!

i then set to full auto to see what the cam would select. it chooses iso 800....half as much for indoors! the F is the same, and shutter a little different, and the shot looks great. i don't get it.

with any of my other bodies i have always started with iso, 100 usually outside, and 800 to 1000 indoors, then Fstop based on DOF and shutter accordingly. this is how i have done it for years. this mkii is just not cooperating.

bottom line..... regardless of settings, the meter is showing correct exposure but it's underexposed. maybe i need to jack the exp. comp setting or something, but i never had to do that before.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just figure out how the meter is reading then keep that in mind when setting your exposure. You needn't be a slave to the center of the dial.

What meter mode do you have it in, by the by?

3. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

using defaults...right from the factory.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  4. Do'Urden's Eyes

Do'Urden's Eyes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is bizarre. Contact canon about it see if they can suggest anything.

5. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have an over-exposeure problem. Sorta. My shots metered in the center are usually blown out in evaluative mode. Spot metering is an improvement, but I lose detail in the shadows. I pretty much shoot -1 EV and lighten in post. My 40D is spot on compared to the 5D mark II. Dunno if it's the FF and resolution. I should pick Canon's brain about this.

6. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't have a 5d, but my XTi consistently under exposes even really easy to meter scenes 1/3rd-2/3rds of a stop low. Not that this helps you in the slightest but when I contacted canon, they said that that was normal.