5Ds/r Officially announced, sample images posted

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So the 5Ds/r was just offically announced by Canon. There have also been samples posted on the Canon Japan site: Canon EOS 5Ds Sample Images Movies

Looks promising so far. Yes they're JPEGs, but it doesn't seem worse than what I expected from a full frame sensor of this resolution.

Last edited:
Wow! Very sharp!!

Guess it's more aimed at the studio with 50MP. I think where Canon has come up short recently would be DR and low light capabilities. With Pentax bringing out a FF soon, it will be interesting to see how they stack up.

I thought my D810 was insane at 36MP, but that's just unbelievable.

It almost enough to make me consider the switch!*

*Almost.

*Almost.

Dont you worry the D820 is already being worked on and I am pretty sure it will have an even more insane sensor on it with probably 60MP or 70MP on it.

Ladies and Gentleman this is the Japanese muscle car style war of sensors, the moto is "Let See How Many MP We Can Cramp Onto One Silly Sensor", I bet in few years 100MP sensors will look rather normal.
I am not saying this is pointless for everybody, yes there will be those who will really make good use of this large resolution but come one even 36MP is stupidly huge resolution and poitless for most of us.

*Almost.

Dont you worry the D820 is already being worked on and I am pretty sure it will have an even more insane sensor on it with probably 60MP or 70MP on it.

Ladies and Gentleman this is the Japanese muscle car style war of sensors, the moto is "Let See How Many MP We Can Cramp Onto One Silly Sensor", I bet in few years 100MP sensors will look rather normal.
I am not saying this is pointless for everybody, yes there will be those who will really make good use of this large resolution but come one even 36MP is stupidly huge resolution and poitless for most of us.

I know that MP at these levels is pointless for the vast majority of photographers, amateur or professional, and it was something I never really cared about until I started working in the studio, where clarity and detail became important to me in my photos.

I'm certainly not saying a 50-60MP is better, let alone necessary (far from it), but for my own photography - resolution has gradually become more of a consideration for future potential camera body upgrades.

Plus, I also find it a little bit fascinating, shooting a portrait from 3-4 metres away and still being able to zoom in and see the eyelash follicles! :eek-73:

The detail is impressive. But. It also seems that we can't see the forest for the trees. Do you really WANT to have a portrait so detailed?

The video is nothing new. Same as the mkiii.

The video is nothing new. Same as the mkiii.
Yep, quite surprised that it does not have 4K. The R version also sounds quite interesting, with the option to 'remove' the low pass filter...

With that resolution, it's not priced bad. Too much resolution for me though. The only think I'm looking forward to is the d810 dropping in price when nikon has a camera to compete with it. Even 36mp is too much for me but I like the extra features that aren't available on the lesser bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is insane. The first image, you can see the facial hair.

this is not saying about good/bad about the canon:

okay? any camera today could do that.

I just wish the samples all had more DOF...

this may or may not be:
and the 5Ds/r had more DR--this camera is officially a studio queen.

MP is the only thing this camera is bringing [new] to the table.

Last edited:
With that resolution, it's not priced bad. Too much resolution for me though. The only think I'm looking forward to is the d810 dropping in price when nikon has a camera to compete with it. Even 36mp is too much for me but I like the extra features that aren't available on the lesser bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would tend to agree as 90% of the photos taken these days are squashed down to fit on the web. But I am glad this camera exists.

*Almost.

I know that MP at these levels is pointless for the vast majority of photographers, amateur or professional, and it was something I never really cared about until I started working in the studio, where clarity and detail became important to me in my photos.

I'm certainly not saying a 50-60MP is better, let alone necessary (far from it), but for my own photography - resolution has gradually become more of a consideration for future potential camera body upgrades.

Plus, I also find it a little bit fascinating, shooting a portrait from 3-4 metres away and still being able to zoom in and see the eyelash follicles! :eek-73:
No doubt some will find 50MP useful but only few, for most its and over, over kill.
Neither Canon, Sony or Nikon care though if its useful or not, they care about selling cameras, if people will buy Mega MP cameras in large amounts then there is justification to produce these cameras so the proof is in the numbers and I have a feeling there will be plenty of people buying these Mega MP cameras because no doubt the numbers are impressive, for those people the usefulness of these MP is beside the point as long as its impressive :)

Most reactions

Back