70-200 questions

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm torn between two of them. The Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC and the Canon 70-200 2.8 NON IS. I plan to do a lot of panning at the racetrack and more static shots with it. What say ye? Any samples, experience?

every review ive seen on the tamron 70-200 VC lens puts it pretty close to canon/nikon image quality.
close enough, i think, that the differences would be minimal.
I would go with the VC over non VC.
I had the non VC version of that tamron lens and was exceptionally pleased with its quality.
not quite built like the canon/nikon's, but well enough for the money.

ive yet to see anyone here that has the tamron VC lens have any complaints about it when the post pictures taken with it.

You did not mention budget. I agree with Mr. Pix.

Plenty of youtube videos on battle of the 70-200's. Maybe not the older Canon you reference but the newer models of each.

Hmm.....

The 70-200 IS 1 has entered the ring too. So this is going to be a mighty hard fought debate.

The Tamron's mighty sharp, Braineack. Thanks for posting that.

My budget is somewhere near $1100. I also plan to buy a 24-70 f4 and would like to keep the combo below $2k.

Well, I played with both the Tamron VC and non-VC 70-200s. I tried some panning with them, and consistently got good results with the VC and shaky images with the non-VC. Safe to say, the VC is the one. The VC is, however, HEAVY. Dayum.

I've also decided on the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 as well. All new gear for me! Yay!

Really like the tamron 28-75 2.8 myself, only done a few test shots but so far the thing produces great results. It will get a proper workout this weekend on the zoo walk

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Lemme know what you think. The local camera store should have one in any day now.

I picked up a used Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS 1 a while back. It was definitely well used as it has dome dings, scratches, missing paint. But I have no complaints about performance and it can take some abuse.

The big advantage I see to the Canon is the build quality. It is second to none. Mine is a freaking tank which is good because it is always attached to a camera body.

I've held both the Tamron and the Sigma. The Tamron & Sigman both have a good build but I wouldn't call it equal to the Canon build.

unless your willing to destroy both lenses on a bench drop test just touching it wont tell you much...
$1000 cheaper is well worth any slight variation.
can get the tamron and a 24-70 for the same price as just the one canon.
unless your a paid professional go for the tamron.

I'm not arguing the point, just pointing out there are some differences. For some those differences can matter for others they don't.

Most reactions

Back