A few B&W for the critics (56k'll take all day)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Libblo, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Libblo

Libblo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'd love to hear what you guys think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WimFoto

WimFoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    great subject for abstract photography. i would increase contrast and under expose slightly.

3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I definatly agree with WimFoto...my first impression was a big lack of contrast to make the shapes stand out and more interesting. They look very flat.

As is, only the 4th draws my eye, the others i just glance over.

4. Inst!nct

Inst!nct TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, i have to applaud you not only of finding the subject, but creating more pictures out of it, i agree that the contrast should be changed a little more, i might actually go into lightroom right now and do it for you, 2 sec.

before [​IMG] after [​IMG]

5. Libblo

Libblo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I agree that the contrast is a little light. Heavyier contrast would probably make better prints. The first few were overexposed on purpose so that the scuplter would fade well into the sky.

Bigtwinky - does pic 3 do nothing for your eyes? There is a lot of nothing going on in the picture and could a better crop and a bit more focal length (while taking the picture) but its so abstract that my mind runs in loops while looking at it. I agree that the last picture is the strongest. I just had a critique in class on these (different pictures of same subject) and i had the same problem in the dark room (making them pop). They were also a little light on contrast.

Inst!nct - thanks for the edit. I kinda like the richer contrast but... Its a little to blue for black and white. maybe a saturation edit would fix this. I also think that for this picture the contrast is a little much because of the over exposed nature of the shot. Thanks for spending the time to show me what you think.

Thanks guys its always a good feeling gathering other peoples constructive opinions. Oh and i forgot to mention these have no post processing.