A Fond Farewell to One and All.

Hey, if you agree to a new kitchen, I'm sure a peace accord can be reached. :greenpbl:

Actually she got a new kitchen 4 years ago and a new bathroom this last year. Now she wants a whole new house after the first of the year. Now I know why she took out that mortgage insurance. You know, the one that pays off the mortgage if I die. :lol:

Seriously, she knew about it from the start. We pay cash for everything except cars and houses. She was even the one that suggested that I call the credit card company and let them know that a big charge was coming. We never charge that much and always pay it off when the bill comes. Good thing I called to. They said with our history they would have denied the charge until they contacted one of us as it would be so not like us.

Sorry folks there won't be a angry wife/slain husband sale soon. :mrgreen: Guess your stuck with me a while longer.

FYI tirediron, I have a perfectly working F, an F2 & an F2-A body complete with either winders or motor drives and a nice collection of good old Nikkor glass. I also have one bulk film back for the F2's. Does that help:wink:

With a 400mm you still have to get fairly close to maximize the lens, some of my best shots with a 400mm where just outside minimum focusing distance, Close enough for mirror smack to scare the subject away.

Run fast, run hard, I'm sure icassell will be out to retrieve it when you are done with it :D

Or just bring a friend with you and make sure you run faster than your friend.:lol:

A series of simple distractions is all that is in order to cover up the transaction. I would start by purchasing one of those wicker baskets filled with soaps and jams. Next, purchase her a bracelet or some ear rings (not too expensive, but expensive enough to make her wonder). After she tells you that you shouldn't have, the next question will be how much did you spend on it. You may then "set the hook" by calling her nosy in a joking fashion, follow up by informing her that she'll never know because you are going to hide this months visa bill.

You may have shipping complications because some companies will only deliver product to the address on your credit card. It is helpful to have an "arrangement" with your local courier service in order for the package to be rerouted to your office. I work in two offices and the drawers of them are littered with lens and gear boxes.

Finally, you must consider the introduction. You will most likely bring the lens home and be excited to use it. Go ahead and whip it out!....take a snap of that fat lazy squirrel in the back yard. Make sure she sees you... she will ask about it.... appear somewhat inconvenienced by it's size.... with a grimaced face inform her the lens came with the camera and that you never really use it because it's lumbersome...

This will most likely work, but I would caution you to watch her face closely. Any forward movement should be interpreted as threatening and you should just run. I recommend having some emergency gear in the trunk of your car. Nothing special..... just enough to get you by...... some memory cards, spare batteries, a variety of zooms and primes, tripod, and an extra pair of jeans. IMPORTANT: Make sure before you enter the house that you roll down the rear drivers windows and scatter some blankets on the rear seat. You will need a place to toss the 400mm on your get away.

You may guffah at the idea of buying her some jewelry. Normally this is not required and a simple wicker basket with soaps and jams will suffice. However, due to the expense of your purchase any reasonable expense to bring it home is justifiable.

Good Luck!! Suicide is NOT an option. There is no scientific evidence of camera shops in heaven.

Sorry folks there won't be a angry wife/slain husband sale soon. :mrgreen: Guess your stuck with me a while longer.

p:wink:

meh..... I just took the time to detail your introduction strategy and you were just crying wolf???....

oooh, financial pain, but photographic pleasure :)

Just make sure you post some photos before she whacks you. :lol:

Big Congrats.
Easy, right? Now you can see her angry face from 500m away and still get wonderfully crisp photographs! :lol:

But yeah, congratulations, man. I really hope it works well for you.

I'm jealous now.

I think I might join your wife in killing you.

Hey Gryph,

Your wife just called and put a contract out on the 400mm L. I figure I'll just take it and leave a note stating that it ran away from its new owner.

:lol:

magic words are: Hermes, Prada, LV, Gucci

Problem being, after those brands, I can't afford lens :(

Just make sure they are genuine - not knock-offs.

Just a quick update. The lens arrived today. I got home, grabbed a body and went out into the yard to give it a quick test. As I was doing so the wife came home. Here is the first shot of her as I was testing it out.

img3797qf2.jpg

This was from around 30-40 yards away. The ER doctor says it is just a mild concussion and that I will be fine. :mrgreen:

This one calmed her down a bit.

img3801ks4.jpg

A quick shot of a flower in her garden. Hopefully the weather will cooperate tomorrow and I can give it a good testing. If I live through the night that is.:lmao: :mrgreen: :lol: :lmao: :mrgreen: :lol:

Good luck nursing that head - might be better to sleep in the armchair rather than the sofa tonight (I take it you are allowed at least to sleep in the sitting room -- if not I hope you have a comfee shed!)

Great photo of the fower - certainly a very good start to using a new lens - hope to see many more shots :)

Most reactions

Back