A Laptop For Photoshop

If you are not going to video edit, music edit or anything like that a Mac is not necessary. PC's are much better gaming computers but since it doesnt sound like you'll be doing that...I would suggest going over to www.dell4me.com and checking them out...you can custom build your own styles and stuff there and they’ll give you the price. I have had my dell (desktop) for about 4 years now and it’s still running great (it could use a few upgrades but still works for me).

Finally Got my laptop a couple of weeks ago so I thought i'd bring this to a close ( just in case anyone browsing the site asking the same question wants to know) I eventually went for the Centrino option. A Higrade C7000 1.7, 60gb, 512mb & DVDRW. PS7 starts up really quick and I have had no problem with it. I agree with your point, Voods, about the screen resolution. But there isn't much difference.

Sorry haven't been on the forum for a while, but just in case it's still useful for anyone, I've just purchased a laptop that will be used for both Photoshop and Permier Pro. Power and portability were important to me but usually you can't have both. I wasn't after a desktop replacement as I already have a power desktop at home.

In the end I went for a Sony Vaio VGN-S1XP:

Pentium 1.7 M 735
512 MB RAM
60 GB HDD
DVD Writer
13.3" Widescreen TFT (1280x800)
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 64 MB
802.11 G wireless card
2 x USB 2 + Firewire
Bluetooth
Only 1.89KG

I'm very happy with the performance and it's light weight chassis. No problems with either Adobe Product and also plays Doom 3 very well.

ZacKrohn said:
I heard PShop uses 50% :shock: of your RAM :shock:....so I would suggest at least 256 or even 512 RAM..

Photoshop uses as much ram as you allocate to it. You can control this in the settings. I wouldn't even mess with 256, or 512 in my opinion. If you are editing 5mp + camera files, and you add a few adjustemnt layers, the file size balloons, and it's sitting in your ram when you are editing.

I have a p4 2.8 HT (800mhz FSB) with 2 gigs of pc2700 ram and a 160gig Serial ATA hd. I could never go back to anything less for photoshop now :p I like to have plenty of ram for PS to chew on, yet still have some left over to multitask.

Photoshop uses mainly processor (filters are mostly mathematical), and ram, so it would be in your best interest to spend your money there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back