a mentor in infrared photography perhaps?

thereforeiamx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
marieeisley.carbonmade.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for a mentor who'll guide me in infrared photography. I just got the Hoya r72 an hour ago and started shooting a bit in my backyard.

Feel free to PM me!
I would appreciate it if someone would be able to help out.
:wink:

i think its best to read up on it a bit first. Just google it and you will find tons of information about it. Then just head out and try.....if you got questions after that, post it here and you most likely get the answers :)

well, i custom WBalanced the green grass, but the photos came out overly magenta. i tried manipulating them on CS3, using curves but nothing significant happened. :/

i dont know if your camera caon shoot RAW, but i fit can do that. Its rather easy to adjust the WB in CS3 then. I did the custom WB in the beginning, but shooting RAW is way easier.

i just realized that i was taking the wb reading without the filter on. dumb mistake!

but it's weird. the lowest temp i can go down to is 2500K?

well, i custom WBalanced the green grass, but the photos came out overly magenta. i tried manipulating them on CS3, using curves but nothing significant happened. :/

My understanding is that that filter is intended for use with IR film. It's pretty much useless with regular film and digital cameras.

my camera, the sony a100, seems to be having a lot of difficulties with IR.

firstly, i heard there's some sort of internal filter that blocks IR. hence, i would need a much longer exposure [25secs +]

and the photos that come right from the camera are very flat and not contrasty. there are barely any whites. foilage take on a green tone and the sky is awkwardly green with a dash of brown.

to top it off, my zoom lens makes hot spots. :(

2. IR image recording with a DC will (usually) saturate almost only the red channel. It depends allot on the camera though. I had one camera where it was the integrated green filter that passed the additional infrared spectrum, not the red one as is typical.

The dyes used in many of the filters that form the Bayer matrix are transparent to infrared - hence the ability of the green and blue filters to pass infrared radiation. I use the blue channel as the IR channel for false-colour infrared, by removing the blue light with a deep yellow filter:

6602491-md.jpg

What you see as blue was the green light, what you see as green was the red light and what you see as red was the infrared radiation. Roughly, anyway.

Best,
Helen

Yeah, I gotcha... pretty sweet! Thanks for sharing!

my camera, the sony a100, seems to be having a lot of difficulties with IR.

firstly, i heard there's some sort of internal filter that blocks IR. hence, i would need a much longer exposure [25secs +]

and the photos that come right from the camera are very flat and not contrasty. there are barely any whites. foilage take on a green tone and the sky is awkwardly green with a dash of brown.

to top it off, my zoom lens makes hot spots. :(

Yup, not all cameras work well with IR and not all lenses (as you've noticed) do either - the links I posted cover it in more detail. Konica/Minolta and Sony/Konica/Minolta are among the worst reputation-wise for IR photography - OTOH, I hear they aren't too difficult to modify if you're handy with the tiny tools. I've not owned a Sony camera yet so I don't know first hand about them. The FujiFilm IS-Pro IR/UV camera looks really interesting. :)

i'm assuming there isn't any foolproof way to work around the hotspots?

i can try tomorrow during the afternoon to shoot at longer exposures to see how the images come out in RAW and post them. and to see what you guys can make of them :)

The dyes used in many of the filters that form the Bayer matrix are transparent to infrared...
6602491-md.jpg

Oh, this was taken with the Fuji IS-1? (just reading your site). That's a camera made specifically to pass IR across all three filters though right? I was just commenting that I was thinking of getting my hands on it's big brother - the IS-Pro.

Photographing the unseen world is exciting and fun!

i'm assuming there isn't any foolproof way to work around the hotspots?

i can try tomorrow during the afternoon to shoot at longer exposures to see how the images come out in RAW and post them. and to see what you guys can make of them :)

No way around it that I know of. Changing lenses might (or might not) help. It seems to be a compound problem from what I can gather where the integral filters, the lens coating, the lens barrel internal (flat black paint) color, and the IR filter itself all add a component of error and together make a hot stop that increases in severity with more light and/or longer exposures.

The hot spot on the K/M A1 & A2 are the worst I've ever seen. From what I understand Sony took that tech into some or all of the models known as the Alpha A-xx0. But when K/M sold out I lost all interest (for the time being) so I dunno exactly about the Alpha line. My K/M Maxxums didn't have the trouble (or was very very slight) though. <shrug>

Most reactions

Back