a photo on the beach, please c&c

josephche

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
here is a photo took several days before, eager to know your feeling on it. is there any suggestion? Thank you for C&C.

4100899894_7910a8e575_o.jpg

I like the lighting/colours.

A slightly closer crop could improve it - the top part of the sky doesn't add much to the image, and cropping it closer to a "rule of thirds" composition would probably help draw attention to the man.

it IS pretty much a ROT though... it's def not centered...

exposure seems to be fine... i'm not sure i like how his silhouette and the hill thing together though

I like the lighting/colours.

A slightly closer crop could improve it - the top part of the sky doesn't add much to the image, and cropping it closer to a "rule of thirds" composition would probably help draw attention to the man.

Thank you for your suggestion. here i cropped it in two ways. one horizontal, and one vertical. does they feel better? which one do you guys prefer?

2.vertical
4101307943_b5bceba4cf_o.jpg

3. horizontal. this one i try to make the horizontal line at the center of the image to highlight the reflection. and let the man at the 1/3 left

4101307929_52379926f0_o.jpg

exposure seems to be fine... i'm not sure i like how his silhouette and the hill thing together though
thanks for your comment. i found the problem that the man and the hill overlaps. it was my first time to be there, and i thought the sun would set on the sea. but it was late when i realized i was wrong. the good news was that i got this puddle with a mirror reflection. will try to find a better spot next time. thank you.

ROT is overrated, kind of like abbreviations. YKWIM? :mrgreen:

my first guess of "ROT" is rule of thumb. then find it at this post
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ery/167288-camera-terms-acronyms-dummies.html

but could not find the "YKWIM", then make guess which i think should be right.
:mrgreen:

..........Rule of thirds doesn't always mean what you think...........

You have a lot going on in this shot, and you have to decide what your subject is.

If it's the great sky, then that is the one to properly place, but you want to capture the man too...and his reflection..It is subsidiary though..

And you have a man looking.........he needs to be looking "in" to the photo..

Place your scene in a good ROT position, if you choose to use that rule, then place the man to look at/into that view and adjust for your reflection

man3.jpg

Last edited:
3. horizontal. this one i try to make the horizontal line at the center of the image to highlight the reflection. and let the man at the 1/3 left

4101307929_52379926f0_o.jpg
This looks great to me ... if you follow the rules of composition, it also follows nicely ... we have symmetry (top-bottom) and rule of thirds (the man's head at the top pretty close to one-third in from the top and the left.

(Of course, rules are often there to be broken, but they often provide a useful guide to what can work).

I like the idea, but I think that the silhouette and the mountains are too close in color, which takes away from his shape.
You framed him so the horizon was pretty much middle of the frame, which I might have changed. You should decide what you want the focus to be, the sky or the reflection of the sky. I would prefer more liquid, less sky.
You did leave frame it so he had room in front of his path and vision. It is important to have it so the subject isnt running out of the photo.

I do prefer LarryD's crop, I would only change the amount of lighting on him next time with a little fill to distinguish himself from the background and give it more depth.

..........Rule of thirds doesn't always mean what you think...........

You have a lot going on in this shot, and you have to decide what your subject is.

If it's the great sky, then that is the one to properly place, but you want to capture the man too...and his reflection..It is subsidiary though..

And you have a man looking.........he needs to be looking "in" to the photo..

Place your scene in a good ROT position, if you choose to use that rule, then place the man to look at/into that view and adjust for your reflection

man3.jpg
Thank you for your comments.
the purpose of this photo was the sunset at the beach. i found a place with puddle to get the reflection of the sky and the golden light. This man just enter my frame by chance. I thought the beach would be more natural with a man walking on. now they do not match well.

Here is another shot captured just after this one i post. i think the man is kind of looking into the scene. do you guys think so? i cropped away the reflection.
4106264088_0122a826ed_o.jpg

I like the idea, but I think that the silhouette and the mountains are too close in color, which takes away from his shape.
You framed him so the horizon was pretty much middle of the frame, which I might have changed. You should decide what you want the focus to be, the sky or the reflection of the sky. I would prefer more liquid, less sky.
You did leave frame it so he had room in front of his path and vision. It is important to have it so the subject isnt running out of the photo.

I do prefer LarryD's crop, I would only change the amount of lighting on him next time with a little fill to distinguish himself from the background and give it more depth.
Thank you for you suggestion. i will try to avoid this kind of overlap in the future shots.

I love how you captured that silhouette!

Good composition on your last post.......

I think that it would have been a beter shot with a bit more exposure ...(it is underexposed); this would have brought out more color and definition at the lands-end..

Keep on shooting......:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back