Abu Dhabi

Hey everyone! I left home for Abu Dhabi nearly a week ago. I am having such a great time here (considering it is for work!) I am meeting so many different people from so many different cultures!

Unfortunately, American Airlines decided not to ship my toiletry bag(!) to NYC, so it STILL has not made it to Abu Dhabi. It somehow ended up in Abilene, Texas and now they haven't been updating the record locator because evidently they had to use Continental Airlines to send it to Abilene. Why did they send it there?? NO one knows!

Other than that, it is a great lifetime experience. I think I will get to go home the 21st instead of Aug 1st. As much fun as I am having, I miss home, my husband, my dogs and friends.

Oh, I went to Dubai yesterday! Talk about amazing! The only thing that pissed me off is that the guy that we were with only drove by the Burj (7 star sailboat looking hotel) and we weren't close enough to get any decent pictures. It was crowded, but come on! As a photographer, that was my whole reason for going! My other coworkers plan to go next weekend, so maybe I will try again. It is a really long drive and hotter than hell, so you get wore down really fast.

I typically go out a lot, but I have done good to get to work and come to the hotel and pass out. I actually lay at the pool for a whole 25 minutes today. It was like an insta-tan! It's 109 today, very humid and still going up!

How are yall?

Thank you for telling us how everything is going! As a wannabe traveler, I find these sorts of posts wonderful! I also hope the rest of the country is being a little friendlier than your cab driver was...lol.

And 109... big deal! :p

Thank you for telling us how everything is going! As a wannabe traveler, I find these sorts of posts wonderful! I also hope the rest of the country is being a little friendlier than your cab driver was...lol.

And 109... big deal! :p

LOL, how about today's weather?

auh_weather.jpg

But it feels like 118 degrees. Being from Texas I'd think that you were used to high temps and high humidity.

Good luck to you and God Speed.

Gary

But it feels like 118 degrees. Being from Texas I'd think that you were used to high temps and high humidity.

Good luck to you and God Speed.

Gary

Thankfully I am from Texas, so I can handle it, but even in TX we don't necessarily LIKE it after 100 degrees :lol:

And yea, I love that it only feels like 118, as if that helps!

Oh, I went to Dubai yesterday! Talk about amazing! The only thing that pissed me off is that the guy that we were with only drove by the Burj (7 star sailboat looking hotel) and we weren't close enough to get any decent pictures. It was crowded, but come on! As a photographer, that was my whole reason for going! My other coworkers plan to go next weekend, so maybe I will try again. It is a really long drive and hotter than hell, so you get wore down really fast.

To be honest you can't get that good a shot from outside where the Burj is anyway - they don't let "tourists" into the grounds to take photos and you can't get on the beach unless you're a hotel resident (I know, I've tried). By far the best place is to go into the souk at Madinat Jumeirah. If you walk out the back, you can get some really good views over the Madinat complex towards the Burj and set it in some sort of context. The souk itself is a fascinating place to wander round and there's a place where you can buy some really good quality prints of the place, either framed or not.

Thank you for the update. For those of us who don't travel as much as we want to (or will someday by god,) its a vicarious thrill.

Who knows my company has 5 locations there. Perhaps I will go there someday on assignment... woot.

To be honest you can't get that good a shot from outside where the Burj is anyway - they don't let "tourists" into the grounds to take photos and you can't get on the beach unless you're a hotel resident (I know, I've tried). By far the best place is to go into the souk at Madinat Jumeirah. If you walk out the back, you can get some really good views over the Madinat complex towards the Burj and set it in some sort of context. The souk itself is a fascinating place to wander round and there's a place where you can buy some really good quality prints of the place, either framed or not.

Thanks for the feedback Chris. If I make it back out there, I will try that.

12% humidity isn't bad, is it? Here we've been running around 55% humidity. I guess, though, when you're talking about 120 FREAKIN DEGREES!!!, even 12% is humid...

BTW, you do realize that 122 is halfway to boiling point? I just wanted to point that out. And remember, don't keep any unopened sodas in your car or anything!!! :)

Thankfully yesterday was not humid. It seems to depend on if the wind blows in from the ocean or the desert. If it was humid and 120, I may have just gone ahead and ended it right then :lol:

Other days were 109 and very humid and it felt worse than 120.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back