Actress headshot, critique please

I'm not brilliant at critique or experienced in what's needed for the head-shot genre but there's something about this that I really like. I think you've captured a great expression on her face, the eyes connect with me and the slightly tousled hair adds to her appeal rather than distracts.
Good job!
One question, what's the faint mark at the centre of her cheek?

P.S. Welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks for your reply.

This particular shot has been severely tweaked from the original headshot. Casting headshots should be light makeup, generally not smiling, but showing a range of interesting expressions. They need eye contact & should be just the head or head & shoulders. The finished article is generally b&w.

The faint marks are introduced light leaks. My "take" on trying to give a vintage look. :boggled:

Definitely has feel to it... an interesting one. And she looks nice. I dunno. It would be a pretty bad headshot from what I understand from the requirements of headshots, but it's an interesting image.

Definitely has feel to it... an interesting one. And she looks nice. I dunno. It would be a pretty bad headshot from what I understand from the requirements of headshots, but it's an interesting image.

Thanks, yes - this shot was not in the portfolio - I just got a bit arty with it. I posted another thread with a portfolio shot. :)

I think my title is a bit misleading, I'll try to edit.

Last edited:
As an image, it's interesting and definitely has a 'draw', but as a casting shot (at least by North American standards) it's no longer very useful. Why the landscape aspect?

As an image, it's interesting and definitely has a 'draw', but as a casting shot (at least by North American standards) it's no longer very useful. Why the landscape aspect?

Sorry, I am unable to edit my misleading title. This is taken from the casting shoot, but not in the portfolio. I decided to get arty with one ot the shots. It's landscape because Kat is using it for her social media masthead.

I missed it! Where did it go??? :(

The three dots really capture her good side.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back