Adobe v Affinity critic

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by BananaRepublic, Sep 20, 2017.

1. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Two photos, one from Affinity and one from Lightroom. Ok granted its not apples and apples comparison, some of which you can see in the images, but in terms of basics I find I can't just get the same finish out of Affinity, noise, tones, pixel zoom/edit-ability ( Photoshop). The export for print is a bit weird too. Granted most of the things could be chalked up to me.

1 is LR
    2 is Affinity
    Conor McCombine Aff_-2.jpg Conor McCombine Aff_.jpg

2. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

How much time have you spent working with Lightroom? How much time have you spend working with Affinity?

3. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Are you starting from a raw file original? Affinity's editing capabilities are competitive.

Joe

4. BananaRepublic

Photos OK to edit
    I had tried Affinity this time last year but I must admit now that I was trying to make an average photos out of turds ( relatively) and I didn't know how to do that with Affinity were as I did know how to scrap the bottom of the CC barrel.

Straight answer I have been using CC for about 6 years by comparison I have had affinity trial for 4 days and this time I find I can follow the tutorials far better partly because Im so feed up of adobes awful customer service and there liquor store hold up man pricing structure.

I do thing the noise reduction tool isn't as good. I have been working from Raw but I can't get the look Im after, not that the LR version was far better it just a little punchier can you suggest how I might do this.

5. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit
    You LR version is brighter overall (exposure), has more color saturation and more contrast and clarity than the Affinity version.

I grabbed a raw file and did a quick side by side and was able to get them pretty close in terms of color and tone response.

Joe

adobe.jpg
    affinity.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    One of the benefits of using Adobe is that the Raw converter used by PsE, LR and Ps are all the same - Adobe Camera Raw.
    Each Raw converter uses somewhat different algorithms than those used by any other Raw converter, so direct comparisons cannot be made.

Consider too that LR (ACR) has had 3 different Process Versions.
    Lightroom Process Version

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. BananaRepublic

Photos OK to edit
    Another Affinity version better, ( I think). Ya so the I am having difficulty with the saturation a clarity options after raw conversion. Any way I pretty sure now that I'll be moving over, I still have Lightroom without the develop functions but the catalogue feature with links to online platforms is still working which is good.

I would still like critic on the actual image too. I left the straw at the bottom for two reasons 1 with it gone it reminded me of another sales catalogue photo and 2 removing it caused some continuity issues toward the the left hand side

DSC_4780 af.jpg

8. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit
    Yes better. I think it could still benefit from a little more brightening and a little more punch in color saturation and contrast. How's this?

jdeer.jpg

As for switching over: I think Affinity is the best replacement for PhotoShop available and would recommend adopting it as an excellent PS replacement. However, and this is a bi
    g however Affinity is not a good solution for raw conversion. If you're going to start with raw files and finish with Affinity then I recommend you adopt a different app to handle the raw conversion. This can be one of the free raw converters as there are a couple very good ones (eg. Raw Therapee), but Affinity has a raw problem. Affinity's raw processing module is wholly destructive and does not save the work you do with the raw conversion toolset. As a result, should you want to go back and make a change or correction to what you did with the raw conversion tools you have to start from scratch. It's a serious flaw. Affinity may correct this in a future revision but for now it's a deal breaker for me and a lot of other folks.

I still recommend Affinity as the best PS replacement but do your raw conversion with a tool that saves your work and then proceed in Affinity to process the RGB output file from your raw converter.

Joe

9. BananaRepublic

Photos OK to edit
    I like that version the green makes the difference plus the clarity/shadow reduction in the cab there the things that I was going for but I can't find the solution. saturation isn't a layer option in photo maybe better selections will help.

I don't know anything about Raw Therapee is it better then Nikons Raw app. I guess this is were the Adobe plays its workflow card but Im only a hobbiest at the end of the day and I can't chalk things up to the cost of doing business.

10. Tomasko

Tomasko No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Non destructive develop layer is a planned feature, hopefully to be seen in 1.6. Otherwise it's still a perfectly usable solution for raw conversion, especially if you're using brushes to selectively change parts of the image. Unless you press "Develop" before you're really done with the raw image, you shouldn't have too big problems with it, even though I understand your workflow may be a little different.

The biggest problem for me when using Affinity is that it loads raw files very slowly and occasionally crashes the program when using more complicated operations. Fortunately it can restore almost everything, but it can be a pain anyway.

11. BananaRepublic

Photos OK to edit
    Will 1.6 be a free update is that the deal with Affinity

12. Tomasko

Tomasko No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

@BananaRepublic , as far as I know, we should get free updates until 2.0 . They haven't really specified what price will be for the upgrade to 2.0, but in my opinion even a full price would be a bargain compared to PS/LR.

• Informative Informative x 1